Excessive Plus v1.04-beta3

245 replies [Last post]
|.NS?CTHULHU|

I think we could buy into the OpenArena community. OpenArena seems to basically just be Quake III but with different models and such...

I'm still Devo.

XV!BENEDYKT
xvibenedykt's picture

i have small question. it is possible to do/add command like it is in quakelive (
cg_kickscale) what will turn off kick/shock/quake of screen after hit from rackets or other 'bullets' ;>

pax wrote:

maybe you have some right :oops: but for me big minus of OA is not support for PB or vice versa... what with cheaters!? look at topic with report cheaters... they are everywhere D:

pax
pbm's picture

Yep cheaters are a prob, I agree, but it doesn't take much to figure out who is cheating and who isn't. Besides, the problem is only on CW, since server admins don't bother to run PB when it's not a CW. In that respect, we already leave the door open to cheaters. So I don't see its a big deal.

Also as someone mentioned, on UT, u can drop the Q3ut4 folder into a regular Q3 install and run it with PB, so if clans want to have the security of a PB game, they still can, as long as the server has an original q3ded. The same could apply to an e+ standalone.

|.NS?CTHULHU|

True. Take a look at other open source game communities and they don't seem to fail due to a lack of PB. They get on fine, so I don't think PB is a big deal.

I'm still Devo.

pax
pbm's picture

Suggestion for the new release - maybe it could be possible to bring the Plus and Excessive sides of the mod back together. The idea would be to allow the config to be team specific. So for example in 1.03 we have a small example of this:

// special case, this is the return time when dropped
// unfair? no, we use max(redflag, blueflag)
team_CTF_redflag: 30;
team_CTF_blueflag: 30;

If it were possible to set the entire config specific for Team Red and config specific for Team Blue, you could potentially have a Plus clan vs an E5 clan etc, and open up a whole bunch of new ideas. Of course it would want some tweaking, but the potential to open up config design so that you have two unique styled teams could be very powerful. I dont know how people feel on this, but as an E5 player, I'd love to play against a Plus clan where they use the config they prefer and we use the config we prefer.

I guess the ultimate would be go further and allow class design for individual players based on the config. Then someone with time and patience can sit down and make a whole new gamestyle based on classes.

What dya think? Happy

lagstard
Developer (retired)
rabusmar's picture

It has been suggested several times on the 1.04 thread that you make openarena work with e+, however, no one has stated what is actually needed for it to work properly. So, the purpose of this post is to let you know that the fixes needed for openarena are actually very few and e+ would have the advantage of providing full support for it.

Wasp*Killer and some other ppl - including me - set up some e+ servers on openarena with the purpose of attracting new ppl into this unique mod and create an e+ community inside oa, and maybe make e+ the most popular mod inside oa. After some struggle, we set up the servers with mostly all the features that you can find playing e+ on quake, so the needed things for a full oa-compatible release of 1.04 would be these:

- From the openarena wiki:

Quote:
missing Lasergun texture, missing grapple beam texture, some cvar's don't work, rotation.txt is not parsed properly forcing the admin to use rcon and exec the server.cfg a 2nd time after the server was started

In the last part, actually its just setting xp_config on the server.cfg that doesn't work, if you put a /load conf/config.cfg in the rotation.txt it does work.

- Server-side-only support. Currently it throws a client/server game mismatch. That's pretty easy to solve tho, we achieved it by hacking the cgame.qvm and qagame.qvm (also tested qagame.dll with 1.04 and it works too). We opened the file with an editor (that doesn't mess up with the linefeeds like notepad) and changed the occurrences of baseq3 for baseoa, and maybe because the length is the same and the char count remains intact, it worked pretty fine. The only problem is that the clients without the mod see the scoreboard all fucked up, so that needs a fix.

- New bugs introduced with 1.04: xp_drawmouse 1 doesn't work when spectating (maybe if it's too much work to see the changes on the engine you can just disable that var), and changing some cvars in game do not take effect (i.e. if you run on localhost /g_gametype 8 and then /rcon map_restart, the gametype is not changed, but if you run the command as a hole /g_gametype 8;map_restart 0 then it works). There are probably more bugs but I haven't tested extensively yet.

- The release must be free of copyrighted material (strictly speaking, that includes sounds, textures, scripts, images, media, etc. and I think that even gpl your code, I'm really not sure of what oa being gpl means in term of releasing a mod for it). However, though even John Carmarck (head developer of q1-q3) was of the philosophy that anyone should be able to learn from other's source code if they wanted to (and demonstrated it by gpling the source code for quake 1-3 engines), that is a personal decision and also maybe a lot of tedious work, so i think that at least removing the xp skins (that don't work on oa anyways) and the levelshots (that also doesn't serve for anything because you can't play baseq3 maps on oa) would make an step forward into making the oa community accept more e+, because now most ppl are biased torwards it.

- Other minor and mostly eye-candy and low-priority bugs.

I'm not telling you to make them asap, first concentrate on the main release (btw, i suggest you that don't release the 1.04 without the item replacing system, but release a beta just before working on it). However, once finished, please consider releasing an e+ version for oa.

I also don't think that make e+ an standalone game is needed, then we would need a hole team to make it work, including the engine, maps, models, textures, etc., not only the mod. Besides, please lets focus on getting this version released and stable before speaking about radical changes like that.

Regards,

Wasp*Beast

Había una vez un barco chiquito...

|.NS?CTHULHU|
lagstard wrote:

It has been suggested several times on the 1.04 thread that you make openarena work with e+, however, no one has stated what is actually needed for it to work properly. So, the purpose of this post is to let you know that the fixes needed for openarena are actually very few and e+ would have the advantage of providing full support for it.

Wasp*Killer and some other ppl - including me - set up some e+ servers on openarena with the purpose of attracting new ppl into this unique mod and create an e+ community inside oa, and maybe make e+ the most popular mod inside oa. After some struggle, we set up the servers with mostly all the features that you can find playing e+ on quake, so the needed things for a full oa-compatible release of 1.04 would be these:

- From the openarena wiki:

Quote:
missing Lasergun texture, missing grapple beam texture, some cvar's don't work, rotation.txt is not parsed properly forcing the admin to use rcon and exec the server.cfg a 2nd time after the server was started

In the last part, actually its just setting xp_config on the server.cfg that doesn't work, if you put a /load conf/config.cfg in the rotation.txt it does work.

- Server-side-only support. Currently it throws a client/server game mismatch. That's pretty easy to solve tho, we achieved it by hacking the cgame.qvm and qagame.qvm (also tested qagame.dll with 1.04 and it works too). We opened the file with an editor (that doesn't mess up with the linefeeds like notepad) and changed the occurrences of baseq3 for baseoa, and maybe because the length is the same and the char count remains intact, it worked pretty fine. The only problem is that the clients without the mod see the scoreboard all fucked up, so that needs a fix.

- New bugs introduced with 1.04: xp_drawmouse 1 doesn't work when spectating (maybe if it's too much work to see the changes on the engine you can just disable that var), and changing some cvars in game do not take effect (i.e. if you run on localhost /g_gametype 8 and then /rcon map_restart, the gametype is not changed, but if you run the command as a hole /g_gametype 8;map_restart 0 then it works). There are probably more bugs but I haven't tested extensively yet.

- The release must be free of copyrighted material (strictly speaking, that includes sounds, textures, scripts, images, media, etc. and I think that even gpl your code, I'm really not sure of what oa being gpl means in term of releasing a mod for it). However, though even John Carmarck (head developer of q1-q3) was of the philosophy that anyone should be able to learn from other's source code if they wanted to (and demonstrated it by gpling the source code for quake 1-3 engines), that is a personal decision and also maybe a lot of tedious work, so i think that at least removing the xp skins (that don't work on oa anyways) and the levelshots (that also doesn't serve for anything because you can't play baseq3 maps on oa) would make an step forward into making the oa community accept more e+, because now most ppl are biased torwards it.

- Other minor and mostly eye-candy and low-priority bugs.

I'm not telling you to make them asap, first concentrate on the main release (btw, i suggest you that don't release the 1.04 without the item replacing system, but release a beta just before working on it). However, once finished, please consider releasing an e+ version for oa.

I also don't think that make e+ an standalone game is needed, then we would need a hole team to make it work, including the engine, maps, models, textures, etc., not only the mod. Besides, please lets focus on getting this version released and stable before speaking about radical changes like that.

Regards,

Wasp*Beast

I agree that OpenArena is the best choice for a free game to attract more people. I played some OpenArena and it basically feels like Quake. Lol.

I'm still Devo.

fairyprincess
fairyprincess's picture

I just redid my name a ton of times, used the new table suggested, and it just keeps saying "unnamedplayer" and then I looked at what my name was in spider, and it was coloured and stuff and not unnamedplayer, also I typed xp_name, just to see what it would tell me my name was, and it was a bunch of black text, really long, but I was still named unnamedplayer. Its really confusing.

WASP*KILLER
Killer's picture
pax wrote:

...I totally think this mod needs to be incorporated into the ioquake engine, so we can have this feature. It could go further than that. There are high quality texture packs out there (one made by an e+ player), and if we incorporated our own map pack, 4 or 5 custom models, a nice new front end with menu driven features and so on, we could have an E+ standalone game. I love what easy is doing here, but like I said in an email to him, it seems a shame to work it if we aren't going to find new people to play it. In my opinion, now that QLive is here, people are gonna be less inclined to play original Q3, so less likely to ever find E+. With this game as a standalone download, with its own media, it could get a new lease of life and rebuild a waning community.

|.NS?CTHULHU| wrote:

I think we could buy into the OpenArena community. OpenArena seems to basically just be Quake III but with different models and such...

Knowing this Community since 2004 and knowing OA quite well I don't think a typical stand-alone version of E+ would work very well.

I love OA but the lack of an Anti-Cheat system would disenfranchise most of the current hardcore E+ members who are in Clans and for whom Ranking and faith in the system is paramount.

Basing a new version of E+ (1.5) on ioq3 or OA or Xreal would make a lot of sense and allow it to be made available fairly quickly. It would probably attract a lot of new ppl.

But, unless it also had the ability like Urban Terror to be both stand-alone (to attract new ppl) and a Q3 Mod (to keep faith in a robust and fairly reliable ranking system) I am not sure it would satisfy both groups.

Basically, Public Servers would run the stand-alone non-PB version with or without pure, while Clans would play wars with pure and PB while running E+ as a Q3 mod.

fairyprincess
fairyprincess's picture

Killer, heres the obvious answer. Diversify, Yes the die hards will always be here, but think about this, the die hards would continue to complain and use 1.03 if there wasnt an update. I think an Excessive Plus game itself would be amazing, just basically take open arena and make it excessified, as you've already done by loading regular E+ 1.03 onto your OA servers. If there was a stand alone version that would be utterly amazing, it would probably help keep the FPS up as its just the one program, we could integrate everything alot easier, and the updates could be done through an automatic update or somthing, like most MMORPGs.

Honestly, if that were to happen though, it would take a hell of a dedicated group to program it, and they'd probably think of all kinds of little changes and what not that no one would agree on, eventually resulting in an unsatisfying product. Thats the problem I'd say. So if only it were so easy to create a stand alone E+ product that didnt require q3.

Anyways, I still cant get names to work in the beta, its a bit confusing. I guess i'll just continue playing 1.03 for now, as I found 1.04 was basically just 1.03 with some different fonts and whatnot, I cant feel a huge difference in gameplay, until theres a feature that lets my 1.1 ghz machine run at 100 fps constant or better, lol, i dont know.