[Closed] 1.04 whine

51 replies [Last post]
mow Q [EN]

I guess u r pushing movementbuttons after bfg shot?

Oh, and to get a more clear result, pls write that u compared plus with plusN and 1.03 probably with RC2a. 1.04 was yesterday.

[MR.]MIRCWAR
tyfon's picture
1.04 whine

Right RC2a, or the latest release and plus cfg for 1.03.

4000 to 2700-1500 UPS drop without trying to touch any movement buttons as much as possible (which is kinda counter intuitive). Feel free to try for yourself, I'm not trying to be scientifically exact with the numbers but just show that there's a difference.

Addendum:

It seems the drop is dependent of how you execute the jump (i guess the airmovement has its part in this) - but the overall speed of the jump is still faster in 1.04 than in 1.03.

epsiplayer
THE ONE AND ONLY
intact-epsilon's picture
1.04 whine
[MR.]MIRCWAR wrote:

It seems the drop is dependent of how you execute the jump (i guess the airmovement has its part in this) - but the overall speed of the jump is still faster in 1.04 than in 1.03.

When ive seen your post i thought maybe the next link:
http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake3/FAQFPSJumps.html
will be useful as a bit of a background for how the q3 is doing the jump.

Cyrax
epsiplayer wrote:

When ive seen your post i thought maybe the next link:
http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake3/FAQFPSJumps.html
will be useful as a bit of a background for how the q3 is doing the jump.

Excellent link epsi! Big grin

Quote:
The integer conversion done by the Q3 vm *IS NOT ANSI COMPLIENT*. ANSI C specifies that integer conversion is done by ignoring the fraction. The Q3 vm does it by rounding to the nearest integer.

Why I quoted that? Because so loved dll/so design gives you fact that those calculations gives different results for server and client prediction/etc code (because client is qvm and server is dll) and as result - prediction errors and some "1.04 whine" Big grin Or all float-integer casts in xp is fixed? Guess not because cg_showmiss shows me a bit of true Winking
GL Winking

I am proud of spreading a pirated Excessive Plus version and claim to be the original author, yay!

KKYYTTOO

Hmm what's that noise?

ZING!

I am proud of spreading a pirated Excessive Plus version and claim to be the original author, yay!

Shadow.
Shaadow's picture

Sorry if i have repeated what somone has said but it would take me an hour to read the last 4 pages.

I would approve of an increase in power on the nades and bfg. (especially bfg splash) .Hopefully to make it more in line with the old excessive nades and bfg, which was downgraded in e5 Happy

One weapon is enough.

lagstard
Developer (retired)
rabusmar's picture
Cyrax wrote:

Actually, nop. That would be true if the pmove code would use float-integer casts, since it is the code that handles physics and is shared by both modules, but if you take a closer look you will find out that all the pmove code is floating point, except for the snap of the velocity vector at the end of PmoveSingle, and in that case that doesnt apply because the vector is snapped using an engine call, outside the rules of the qvm, so no rounding differences occurs (im guessing that change was introduced after the creation of the article, since several versions were released after it).

That said, it does seem that the precision of multiple floating point operations seems to have little differences between qvm/dll/so binaries. However, the precision errors are quite small, and even when cg_showmiss 1 shows several (in the dll case, a lot) of "prediction error" messages, the majority of them are really really tiny, in 99 % less than 0.001, so by no means that is the cause of all this whine.

Searching in all the code i can only see one factor that could possibly affect physics in e+ 2.0 and make them different from 1.03: the re-enabling of the overbounce "bug", since the actual modification is done in the code that handles ground movement, but that would mean that now the feeling is more vq3-alike, and that the v1.03 was the one that introduced those differences.

Había una vez un barco chiquito...

Cyrax
lagstard wrote:

Mine bad troll and its true that those rounding errors is small Winking
But if I started in this thread then lets return to the topic: there is prediction errors on falling/jumppads/nade-bfg jumps even on localhost and they are much bigger than 0.001 - this not affects physics but affects feelings so "1.04 whine" have a real reason for its existence.
Btw I'm playing at forced low fps most of the time so all this almost doesn't matter for me, just an opinion/observation Winking

[MR.]MIRCWAR
tyfon's picture
1.04 whine

Is pmove fixed set to 1? Is this the jumpbug fix or OB? This was used some year ago in a cfg by Foksie and gave a odd feel to jumps and moves but it was supposed to eliminate jumplag (atleast it was my impression it was a cfg variable).

mow Q [EN]

I remember 1.02b still very strong. In 1.02b nobody has seen his packetloss. Almost nobody grumbled about lag these days, just if u had really interrupted gameplay. Since 1.03 a lot of people bleat about lag, just because they see in scoreboard a loss of a percent.

This just beside all facts. It is presumably the bragging which annoys me. This post is no offense, just a thing which I recognized in general, not regarding any post here directly.