[Closed] 1.04 whine

51 replies [Last post]
[MR.]MIRCWAR
tyfon's picture

I now tried 1.03 on a server. A couple of points are striking.

1. Movement.

It feels more real, baseq3 alike. It seems faster, jumps carry you a bit further. BFG jumps actually work, grenade jumps always carry you forward. All in all it feels better, you can actually move around the map.

2. Sensitivity

Sensitivity is definetly changed, it feels more exact in 1.03 although I'm not sure it's infact slower. Tracking is spot on, and rails fire off immiediatly and hit.

For those unaware I have complained on 1.04 movement, first off BFG jumps either don't work or never get you where intended. Second grenade jumps doesn't seem as effective, don't carry you as far as before and often in the wrong direction. In part this is due to the air control introduced in plusN but I think there is something else to it - the 1.03 feeling is more alert, crisp and exact. Not only when jumping or sliding but in walking.

The sensitivity/rail in 1.04 feels strange, shots seem to hit to the side and this is extremely frustrating as you never get a feel for where you hit and where you don't. Fragging is guesswork, whereas in 1.03 it was instinctive.

I urge everyone to try 1.03 and compare, if possible on a server.

Laktos
Trollet's picture

I have to agree with the stated post.

Sens - Definately a difference!

About movement - I can't explain it very well in words, but it just felt so easy to run around in 1.03 - U actually have MORE aircontroll and way more controll of where you actually would endup. Mayby the jump itself is different, since it I noticed Overbounce in 1.03 aswell btw.

Alla blå bär är blå bär - även blåbär - men det är bara blåbär som är blåbär.
A cloud pooped out a rainbow turd.

outofhere!
hook's picture

totaly agree with the grenades movement ned walk... i tried ctf yesterday in 1.03 and it feels directly better..

then i test the grenade weapons values in 1.04 cfg and test and test and test but i give up by 2 hours of time..... Big grin

Fragmovies and more Arrow Click ME!

AsphyxEvents Website Arrow Click ME!

(*WASP*PARADISE*)
Creating Paradise's picture

Perfect post laktos, couldn't agree more. Also there are a lot of problems with the railing as most noticed, when u shoot but the target doesn't die (rail doesn't count in, or register as a hit). That's extremely frustrating and I got the die out of my keyboard as in how many times I pressed the "that sucks" bind. 1.03 feels better in many things, frmo shooting to moving. I don't recall any rail that I had missed because the shot wouldn't register, though I shot the enemy clear. That sucks anus a lot. Aiming is also very nice in 1.03, it feels different, maybe more accurate and I hope my memory doesn't play tricks on me now. I also tested 1.03 - 1.04... the differences are enormous.. That's it from me, see ya on the servers.

Laptop: Sony Vaio 3D: VCPFX215FX/BI with 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro.
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core.
Pad: Logitech G240.
Keyboard: Logitech K800
Earphones: Westone ES5 Custom IEM with Emerald Green (Envy) Faceplate
Line out Dock: Whiplash Elite Micro TWag V2 Eclipse w\Oyaide plug
Amplifier: Pico Slim Silver
Music player: iPod Classic 7th Gen 160 GB black

^[Evil]Monkey

feels fine for me
especially bfg/nading (moves)
rail hits more for me..

rUnThEoN?!
Skullheadq3's picture
1.04 whine

sens and aiming always felt a bit better for me with xp_delagweapons 0 and xp_bobbing 0.
however, i really would like to rechange those both bits, same goes to improveprediction.
in fact, 1.03 netcode was very stable and i never had a problem hitting when i was supposed to hit, while in 1.04 sometimes i totally feel like shooting ahead and hit, following and miss.

as stated here LONG AGO, all the community wanted is an fixed 1.03 before adding new details to the game, while easy always just fixed unplayable bugs and introduced new client side features, which was totally pissing.

just for the heck of it, i want to say one more time that the target of edawn is to fix all bugs until version 1.0 and might the bug even just occur once in a hundred games and occur just for 2 persons, as long as its possible edawn devs will try to fix it.
would be good if e+ has the same target for 1.04 final release!

hurrenson: "This idiot is apparently not familiar with a rail/sniper style."

outofhere!
hook's picture

that i always want edawn and dev coders all togehter and work on a stable all fixing version 1.04... that where the best way... but is my meaning Winking

Fragmovies and more Arrow Click ME!

AsphyxEvents Website Arrow Click ME!

rUnThEoN?!
Skullheadq3's picture
1.04 whine

wont work asphyx, since e+ devs are working with a dll for newer updates and edawn are still working with way faster qvm.

hurrenson: "This idiot is apparently not familiar with a rail/sniper style."

[MR.]MIRCWAR
tyfon's picture
1.04 whine

A couple of more observations.

In 1.03 you generally had a good orientational feel for where you were in relation to your opponents. In 1.04 I feel much more lost, at first i suspected that colouring or fov was different but comparing screenshots this doesn't seem to be the case. I can only attribute it to the different sensitivity, I lack the control I had in 1.03. Example, running down MH stairs to RA in dm7. This feels haphazard and without much control.

Another obeservation is that you get blitzed in a whole different way in 1.04, you (I and atleast another person I've asked) often don't register when oppontens attack and enter a room. They just suddenly appear infront of you. This is NOT the case in 1.03.

I strongly suspect that this is a combined effect of several "fixes", like the improved prediction (replaced cg_smoothclients?), the jumpbug fix and a few others that are hinted at in changelog.

mistress
mistress's picture

i agree with mirc 100% (sorry to whine) Winking

NecrogeddoN
necrogeddon's picture

Perhaps what we need is to bring back the old "promode-like" physics settings of 1.03. I liked xp_physics 2 in 1.03 VERY much, it WORKED the way you expected it to. This new physics system is... eh... it just feels like Unreal Tournament or something, it's just not right.

I think changing the physics back to what we had before might solve most of these problems though.

• NVidia GeForce 8400GS

• Logitech MX510

• Hyperglide Teflon Skates

• Steelpad QcK+

• iHome IH-K200MB

• SB Live! 5.1 Platinum

• Logitech Precision Gaming Headphones

• Insignia 32" HDTV