[Closed] 1.04 whine

51 replies [Last post]
NecrogeddoN
necrogeddon's picture
Seth wrote:

Just wondering, has anyone tested your plus config with the xp_physics setting that Beast said?

That's what I want to do Chatterbox

• NVidia GeForce 8400GS

• Logitech MX510

• Hyperglide Teflon Skates

• Steelpad QcK+

• iHome IH-K200MB

• SB Live! 5.1 Platinum

• Logitech Precision Gaming Headphones

• Insignia 32" HDTV

mow Q [EN]

I feel fine on 1.04, with aim, physics and weaponmovement.

Yea, i am such a bad player that i am probably not sensitive enough to feel disadvantages.

[MR.]MIRCWAR
tyfon's picture
1.04 whine

Have you fired up 1.03 and compared?

Anyway, I just can't pinpoint the sensitivity thing. It's as if m_yaw & pitch are changed, or some latent acceleration is present - since I can get used to other games fine I don't see why 1.04 is giving me such a headache.

/End whine from me.

unique * mnc
mnc's picture

I don't feel any difference to be honest. Maybe I just don't pay attention - I'm just adjusting to gameplay and playing better or worse... but changing sensitivity from 1.337 to 1.3337 has no point for me ;f

rUnThEoN?!
Skullheadq3's picture
1.04 whine
lagstard wrote:

rUnThEoN?! wrote:
all my feelings tell me that the overall aiming feels completly different, especially while shafting while jumping or riding down stairs, and that since the improveprediction fix.

Your senses are wrong then, as you have been wrong with several people you thought they cheated. I felt no change from beta5 to beta6, in which it was implemented (I DID feel a change from 1.03 to 1.04).

tired of arguing, but give me any proof that these players are 100 percent clean, is there any chance we can make sure there is absolutely no chance they cheat.
also that i lack tons of evidence to proof it doesnt mean they arent dodgy, all people i accused always were dodgy on their main base.
laktos aint dodgy at all just for comparison.

and i dont think u can really tell me about my own profession (aiming), honestly.

hurrenson: "This idiot is apparently not familiar with a rail/sniper style."

Doomcore

LOL, some people really can't be satisfied....just play the fucking game and enjoy, if you don't like it, go back to 1.03 and play it....no one needs complains and talking shit all the time.

joey
[MR.]MIRCWAR wrote:

I now tried 1.03 on a server. A couple of points are striking.

1. Movement.

It feels more real, baseq3 alike. It seems faster, jumps carry you a bit further. BFG jumps actually work, grenade jumps always carry you forward. All in all it feels better, you can actually move around the map.

2. Sensitivity

Sensitivity is definetly changed, it feels more exact in 1.03 although I'm not sure it's infact slower. Tracking is spot on, and rails fire off immiediatly and hit.

For those unaware I have complained on 1.04 movement, first off BFG jumps either don't work or never get you where intended. Second grenade jumps doesn't seem as effective, don't carry you as far as before and often in the wrong direction. In part this is due to the air control introduced in plusN but I think there is something else to it - the 1.03 feeling is more alert, crisp and exact. Not only when jumping or sliding but in walking.

The sensitivity/rail in 1.04 feels strange, shots seem to hit to the side and this is extremely frustrating as you never get a feel for where you hit and where you don't. Fragging is guesswork, whereas in 1.03 it was instinctive.

I urge everyone to try 1.03 and compare, if possible on a server.

Since i've got to college this year my connection has felt very off and latent (regardless of the green ping) due to hardware setup and the large network load so i can't give a really definitive fresh answer however, i was presented these same questions/complaints a while ago and never seemed to have the same problems as the general populous. When I complained about my latent shots people looked at my ping and said 'lol you have a low ping it's just the config and RC1' I think a lot of people are just thinking they are better than what they are, and just want something to be mad at. A lot of people also see the better players complaining/posting their opinions and findings and copying and pasting their statements as if their own as if they know what they are talking about blindly blaming the mod and config.

Pre-beast a LOT of these problems were BLUNTLY obvious (aside from the sensitivity feel), I have no such problems now as the client-side options were implemented, tweaked, and optimized. 1.03 and 1.04 are different, but different does not mean problem or bad.

Movement in 1.03 was Good and free, Movement in RC1a is good and free, I've never had a problem with Grenade and BFG jumps in RC1, however in 1.03 the knockback bug ALWAYS come along, more-so at the end of 1.03's reign. Reinforcing your later comments, in 1.04 I've never had a BFG not work or not get me where I wanted (more-so config based.) Grenade jumps aren't as effective however they always take me in the intended direction (again, a config thing.) 1.04 feels just as alert and crisp as 1.03, from my experience and remembrance. I'll state again though, pre-beast I always complained about movement being unreal,synthetic and lagged in 1.04. Not now though.

Sensitivity in 1.03 and 1.04 I see no difference, feel no difference, play no different. When I play on my home connection shots were on point, more exact and fired off immediately. I've never had a problem with shooting to the side and it still feels instinctive. Of course, this sensitivity 'issue' seems to plague some people, and not others. It also seems to plague some people, they complain, then people who never had the issue start complaining because they can't hit. I am not saying that is the case for anyone here but, it is interesting how people condition themselves to blame the mod before looking at themselves first.

edit: I guess i'll throw in, 1.04 does seem heavier than 1.03, but that is because of the 'fixes' and optimizations, etc. In the process of these optimizations and speed-ups and downs we do get a synthetic feel, but it has improved wonderfully from the previous beta 3,4, and 5.

joey
rUnThEoN?! wrote:

lagstard wrote:

rUnThEoN?! wrote:
all my feelings tell me that the overall aiming feels completly different, especially while shafting while jumping or riding down stairs, and that since the improveprediction fix.

Your senses are wrong then, as you have been wrong with several people you thought they cheated. I felt no change from beta5 to beta6, in which it was implemented (I DID feel a change from 1.03 to 1.04).

tired of arguing, but give me any proof that these players are 100 percent clean, is there any chance we can make sure there is absolutely no chance they cheat.
also that i lack tons of evidence to proof it doesnt mean they arent dodgy, all people i accused always were dodgy on their main base.
laktos aint dodgy at all just for comparison.

and i dont think u can really tell me about my own profession (aiming), honestly.

a lot of people have their own methods to aiming, they can tell you what they want, as long as their 'profession' has different beliefs and differences. Saying someone can't compare their aim with your aim is like saying someone can't compare their religion with your religion.

NecrogeddoN
necrogeddon's picture
joey wrote:

1.03 and 1.04 are different, but different does not mean problem or bad.

That's how I feel too, and I think the main problem we're having is more config-related than mod-related.

joey wrote:

Movement in 1.03 was Good and free, Movement in RC1a is good and free, I've never had a problem with Grenade and BFG jumps in RC1, however in 1.03 the knockback bug ALWAYS come along, more-so at the end of 1.03's reign. Reinforcing your later comments, in 1.04 I've never had a BFG not work or not get me where I wanted (more-so config based.) Grenade jumps aren't as effective however they always take me in the intended direction (again, a config thing.)

On the other hand the movement is very different, comparing xp_physics 2 in 1.03 Plus.cfg to the new xp_physics settings in 1.04 PlusN.cfg and PlusC.cfg is a lot like comparing the difference between CPMA or Warsow physics to VQ3 physics. 1.04 on both main Plus-named configs feels much more like VQ3 across most configs, whereas the "promode-like" settings of 1.03 Plus.cfg (xp_physics 2) feels more spot-on, precise and playable.

I think if you use grendes and BFG as your primary method of determining "what is Q3 physics?" you are not quite qualified to assess the difference between old physics and new physics. If circle-jumps, strafe-jumps and double-beat strafing are part of your regular repertoire, however, you can definitely compare and feel a difference. The main exception to this seems to be Mow, who is an inhuman fragging machine and cannot be counted Big grin

• NVidia GeForce 8400GS

• Logitech MX510

• Hyperglide Teflon Skates

• Steelpad QcK+

• iHome IH-K200MB

• SB Live! 5.1 Platinum

• Logitech Precision Gaming Headphones

• Insignia 32" HDTV

russki
QuakeR.ru's picture

Yes, the feeling is different, no doubt about it, but with little practice and getting used to, i can aim ~50 as i did on 1.03... Yes there are some weird shots, the main thing i noticed is when u hear someone u can press fire, a split second before u see them, and its like theyd literally walk into ur rail.... Dont remember such shots on 1.03... Dunno maybe its just me... I cant say that 1.04 benefits high pingers, beacause id still prefer the feeling of 1.03, low ping or high. Like plusN, the feeling of 1.04 is something we have to get used to i guess...

I think the main point here is beast has done a shitload of work, since the crap that the early betas were.. As a matter of fact he keeps working on it and making it better, and is open to suggestions, huge props and respect to him for that Happy

alltimes luck!