SOUND POLL ISSUE: Did 2.3 ruin the sound even more now?

40 replies [Last post]
EVILUTION
fiendsin's picture
Re: SOUND POLL ISSUE: Did 2.3 ruin the sound even more now?
cml wrote:

I think it is not about the sound quality or something like that, but more about sounds appearing in wrong directions, for example I heard few times someone on the left but in fact he was on the right, some sounds may popup and disappear but thats normal on active AWH, more annoying is when you dont know where the enemy is located if you hear him on different place where he is in fact.

Someone should reproduce that effect and record it, good place to test is public server with dynamic plusN cfg, rather than test it on baseq3 or play pre-recorded demos to prove anything Happy

I'll try recording one actually, but it wasnt only on plusN but on qlinsta when it had antiwh on

Sometimes I wish I was a NEET again, but life is too fucking expensive man.
The weak plot revenge, the strong forgive and the Lucky forget, but Fiend, Fiend no longer gives a shit

◀█ BIG BOB wrote:
Man you even sound like Lego's

You Fuckers wrote:
I would cut my fifth finger to bang her actually

You Fuckers wrote:
BELIEVE IN BLASPHEMY

easy
Developer
easy's picture

Actually, only a demo can prove this and that is what I've done. A demo is a record of what the server sent to the client, so the game can be replayed as it happend (with some exceptions like delag, which is irrelevant to the sound).

How does stereo sound works? You only have 2 channels. To make people able to tell the direction, you have to lower/higher one of the left or right channel. This is what the engine does, this is what each game engine does. It is even impossible to tell if the sound is coming from the front or behind, from above or below. You can only distinct left and right. That would be a huge problem for games but luckily there is this mouse movement, you can move your "head" while the sound is still playing and this makes you able to locate the sound more precisely.

But lets get back to this 2 channels. This is where the sound editor comes into play, if one of the channels would differ, it will be visible there. And it is not! It matches exactly baseq3 and that is no surprise, because that code has never been touched nor would it be possible at all.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that sound is perfect in Quake 3. What I am saying is, that sound does not differ, neither from baseq3 nor from old Excessive Plus releases.

PS: Do not waste your time looking for "sound bugs" at anti-wallhack enabled servers. As stated on the first page, such servers have sound issues and that is by design.

/
q3fun's picture
easy wrote:

PS: Do not waste your time looking for "sound bugs" at anti-wallhack enabled servers. As stated on the first page, such servers have sound issues and that is by design.

you just lazy to fix it.

you make bug, we must live with it

easy
Developer
easy's picture
/ wrote:

you just lazy to fix it.

There is no fix for an optional feature, that is working exactly as it was intended to (and optional implies that you are not forced to use or "live" with it).

The weapon wearing/holding sounds cannot be played just like footsteps. That sound is a looping sound and have to move with the player rather than be played where the player were in the past. I could write you a wallhack in notime to show this sound behind walls and it will work as good as any other wallhack on non-anti-wallhack protected servers. If I can do this, any other lazy person with programming experience can do it.

Why would anyone want to create an anti-wallhack level that has absolutely no wallhack protection? I have no clue, that's why it will not happen.

Honestly, me and others have been explaining it often to you. It's like talking to a five year old kid.

BOZO
Bozo's picture
easy wrote:

Good catch, bozo! That saved me the upload Happy

You are welcome! Winking Btw.: Why isn't there any download section on the menu at all? I think it would be a nice idea to have a download section with all relevant files (xpQname etc). You could also put the old releases there. Just a suggestion!

XV!BENEDYKT
xvibenedykt's picture

NO

/
q3fun's picture
easy wrote:

/ wrote:
you just lazy to fix it.

There is no fix for an optional feature, that is working exactly as it was intended to (and optional implies that you are not forced to use or "live" with it).

The weapon wearing/holding sounds cannot be played just like footsteps. That sound is a looping sound and have to move with the player rather than be played where the player were in the past. I could write you a wallhack in notime to show this sound behind walls and it will work as good as any other wallhack on non-anti-wallhack protected servers. If I can do this, any other lazy person with programming experience can do it.

Why would anyone want to create an anti-wallhack level that has absolutely no wallhack protection? I have no clue, that's why it will not happen.

Honestly, me and others have been explaining it often to you. It's like talking to a five year old kid.

if level-1 not saved sound properly = you easy make bug in e+

right?

troll-e

easy, it is dolby surround that will fool the mind for the direction of the sound from 2 speakers, i remember this demo , but the video is not an example , it is not well recorded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFv7mHTf0nA

EDIT: actually this is the most closest to the true video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTjnt_WSJu8 . Watch out in the beginning , when the starship passes , actually you should hear his noise above your head. This demo is from the age of 386 CPU's Hee hee

epsiplayer
THE ONE AND ONLY
intact-epsilon's picture

offtopic: I like this1 more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXm6SuUigI
When we will have sound like this in q3 you won't need a monitor. Except maybe for the crosshair.. But who uses a mouse in the future anyway?

◀█ BIG BOB
expedion's picture
epsiplayer wrote:

offtopic: I like this1 more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXm6SuUigI
When we will have sound like this in q3 you won't need a monitor. Except maybe for the crosshair.. But who uses a mouse in the future anyway?

That'd be mental but honestly with the previous versions this is how close it actually got. You could even tell how far the enemy is away from ya.