[Resolved]Runs smooth 125 FPS for 1 minute, then drops to 30 and stays there.

43 replies [Last post]
donkeyhigh
Ever seen that one before? I sure haven't.
Specs:Intel Duo Core 2,8GHz4GB DDR2ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
My Quake 3 has always been a bit quirky, so I installed a fresh install after formatting my Windows. I now have a Windows7-32bit. Same as before the format. Used drivers from my "driver-backup"-folder from my previous format (since I knew they worked for what I need them too (Quake2/3).) So the problem shouldn't be the drivers.I also kept the old quirky Quake 3 just in chase.Ok, so here's the problem:
I start Quake3, play for a minute or so, and suddenly my FPS drops from a stable 125 to 29/30 fps and stays there. If I do a vid_restart it goes up to 125 again (my com_maxfps is 125) and stays there for another minute or so, then drops to 30 again.Also, the Q3 Menu itself lags, bringing down the console lags, and vid_restart or loading generally takes forever.
Custom videosettings during tests:seta r_mode "-1"seta r_customwidth "1920"seta r_customheight "1080"seta r_uiFullScreen "1"r_drawSun "0"r_dlightBacks "0"cg_gibs "0"seta com_hunkMegs "256"seta com_zoneMegs "40"Everything else is default.
After a while I tried removing all the configs and set the video-defaults in the Q3 Menu's. Still no difference.Then I tried baseq3 without any configs (not even q3config.cfg or autoexec.cfg of course), still same problem.
What the hell's going on? I know it should work perfectly, it used to. I know you're thinking graphic-card drivers, but they're the same I used before the format, and it used to work just fine.
Any specific drivers known to work perfectly with ATI Radeon cards just in chase I fucked up the drivers somewhere along the way?
Specs again:Intel Duo Core 2,8GHz4GB DDR2ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

joey
Re: Runs smooth 125 FPS for 1 minute, then drops to 30 and ...

edit:
I can't really say for sure, but I would have to say it could be a driver problem (if you used from the old install). I would recommended re-downloading the catalyst from AMD and completely uninstalling what you have, and reinstall it. Of course, keep your old catalyst just in case. The previous drivers was the original install and not a raw copy of the driver, right? Regardless of which it was It could have been a bad install.

Also, are you using a virus scanner?
Are you using a compatibility mode?

Post back results.

XV!BENEDYKT
xvibenedykt's picture

stand LINUX arch distro and play fully smooth game Happy just after OS instalation and game.
please.

joey
XV!BENEDYKT wrote:

stand LINUX arch distro and play fully smooth game Happy just after OS instalation and game.
please.

That's hardly a solution to his problem. And of course, ubuntu would be a better choice.

lectorgc_
lectorgc_'s picture

May be your graphic card goes to energy save mode after minute. Try to force it to max performance in driver options.

I have the enemy flag!

* lectorgc_ rolls the dice 2 times ⚅ ⚅ and gets 12

donkeyhigh

I use Avast Anti-virus.Tried updating my drivers through Windows Device Manager, rebooted and started Quake.Now it doesn't cap itself at 30 FPS, just drops allot, and sometimes even to 2-3 FPS.
This is really weird.I'll try removing it completely, then reinstalling the newest drivers.

I don't have Linux and I have no idea how to use it.Is there some easy version I can run within Windows with a GUI that can run Quake for me? Seems a bit excessive just to play a game, but if it works I'm all for it :pIf however I have to boot it INSTEAD of Windows then it's one step to many Confused

edit: went into Catalyst Controll Center and enabled ATI Overdrive. Cranked it up some and also sped up my fan.Gonna try now.

joey
donkeyhigh wrote:

I use Avast Anti-virus.Tried updating my drivers through Windows Device Manager, rebooted and started Quake.Now it doesn't cap itself at 30 FPS, just drops allot, and sometimes even to 2-3 FPS.
This is really weird.I'll try removing it completely, then reinstalling the newest drivers.

I don't have Linux and I have no idea how to use it.Is there some easy version I can run within Windows with a GUI that can run Quake for me? Seems a bit excessive just to play a game, but if it works I'm all for it :pIf however I have to boot it INSTEAD of Windows then it's one step to many Confused

edit: went into Catalyst Controll Center and enabled ATI Overdrive. Cranked it up some and also sped up my fan.Gonna try now.

The linux thing was a joke. Yeah it's simple with a GUI these days and can emulate lots of things, it won't really benefit you. I would download the drivers and install them without avast running, as well as try testing out quake without avast running. And if it's good, turn avast on.

donkeyhigh

Nope, still drops.
If I don't reply in a while it's just because I'm busy testing different drivers and settings.Thanks for all the replys so far, anything is appreciated Happy

edit; gonna test that joey, thx Happy edit2: ninjaedit.

joey

Is your quake 3 pirated or store copy? Have you tried a fresh install of quake 3? (sometimes initializing configs to default settingsis hard because you have to change it in baseq3 then e+)

donkeyhigh

Store copy.Installed it, then searched for *.cfg in the Quake3-folder and removed everything just in chase. Before I started it for the first time. So it's not a config-related problem, pretty sure of that. :(That'd be sooo much easier Tongue

INFERNO
jaj's picture

Somtimes u need to delete all virus no ur pc cus its related

here is some general reason :

1. virus

2. wrong Video Card software or \ wrong compatibility with quke3

=> i recommend choosing (More performance) than (More quality)

3. weak hardware

see also :

one

two

three

be glad we have tons of who face such problem

Sex And Death

DeathB4Disco