[Resolved]Runs smooth 125 FPS for 1 minute, then drops to 30 and stays there.

43 replies [Last post]
mow Q [EN]
Re: Runs smooth 125 FPS for 1 minute, then drops to 30 and ...

i disabled power save mode in bios the first time i started my pc.

Power Save Mode can be usually handled in BIOS.

NO

i have had the same issue with win7 and my hd4850, tried a lot of drivers, disabled all the power saving stuff, formatted few times (even tried different windows iso's), reset my cfgs, re-installed the game etc, nothing worked.
i just went back to xp Big grin

try disabling all the stuff into control panel (list all items) /power options, but i doubt it will help
(there are options in the BIOS for the cpu's fsb to drop if the system is idle, but again i doubt it will help)

seems like dx11 doesn't suit q3 well, you might also try running the game in xp compatibility mode

ps: try messing carefully with powerstrip

madbringer wrote:

We're like a big, dysfunctional family of alcoholics, nihilists, drug abusers, nutters and general sociopaths.

joey
mow Q [EN] wrote:

i disabled power save mode in bios the first time i started my pc.

Power Save Mode can be usually handled in BIOS.

That's suggesting that he went between his last OS, when it worked, til his new windows 7 partition, where it doesn't. Unfortunately, I've never had bios power management to that detail. I would still have to say it's something within windows power management. But could check bios as well. Not really the first thing I would suggest people to play with.

donkeyhigh

First off, thanks for all the new suggestions.
I'm fairly used with BIOS, but I've never seen anything regarding power-saving with my CPU or GFX, but I could take a new look. However as Joey mentioned it would be weird for the BIOS to create a problem when I used to play Quake just fine with the same BIOS settings on the same Windows-version before I formatted.
I'm pretty sure it has to be something I did in Windows during the last few months, I've had a pause from Quake due to school/work, so it's probably something I installed without even thinking about Quake.
I'll also take a look at those programs mentioned, see if they give me any indications of where the problem might be.BTW, newbquestion, in Quake3 I've never been able to alt+tab, ctrl+esc, or win+tab, but this is usuall, right? So how do I check Speccy while in Quake3? Tongue
edit: nevermind, alt+tabbing let's me see Speccy, but I can't interact with it. But it's enough to see the specs.

mow Q [EN]

in quake it is not alt+tab, it is alt+enter

lectorgc_
lectorgc_'s picture

You can press Alt+Enter to make the game in window mode. So you will be able to move/minimize it as usual window. Another way if you use smth like rivatuner to monitor, you can just put required parameters to osd.

I have the enemy flag!

* lectorgc_ rolls the dice 2 times ⚅ ⚅ and gets 12

donkeyhigh

From Speccy during error:

Speccy when in Quake3 during error wrote:
Operating System MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit _-_ CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz 47 °C Wolfdale 45nm Technology _-_ RAM 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-18) _-_ Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5Q TURBO (LGA 775) 29 °C _-_ Graphics BenQ V2400EcoOÐTUÈé @ 1920x1080 ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (XFX Pine Group) 54 °C

And here's when chilling in Windows, only Chrome and Photoshop and some small programs open.

Speccy when in idle Windows wrote:
Operating System MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit _-_ CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz 37 °C Wolfdale 45nm Technology _-_ RAM 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-18) _-_ Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5Q TURBO (LGA 775) 29 °C _-_ Graphics BenQ V2400EcoOÐTUÈé @ 1920x1080 ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (XFX Pine Group) 54 °C

So it would seem the CPU heats up during Quake 3, this is a good sign, isn't it?The GPU however stays the same, meaning it's kinda dumb, thinking nothing's going on, right? So I should find a way to make it work harder, right?

NO

in your BIOS, search for "EIST" (intel speedstep).
if it's enabled, your cpu's fsb will decrease if you have no active program running.
my q6600 runs @2.4ghz when i run any program, and @1.6ghz when it's idle.
to me it can't bios-related since some powersaving tool can't set your fsb to a level so low that you're stuck at (stable) 30fps, it doesn't sound like a "cpu-limited" issue.

rather dig into windows (control panel/power options and device manager) and catalyst control center Worried

edit: i just read your gfx card doesn't heat up, what's definitely abnormal.
are you sure you're not using your motherboard's integrated gfx chipset? you can check that into BIOS.

edit2: try this: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733
(you can read "Automatic overclocking when application required 3D mode" in the software highlights)

madbringer wrote:

We're like a big, dysfunctional family of alcoholics, nihilists, drug abusers, nutters and general sociopaths.

donkeyhigh

Thanks, and thank God. I hate messing with BIOS Tongue
I'll do some fidgeting and see what I find out. I'm pretty sure it has to be the GPU. Never buying ATI Radeon again, this is starting to piss me off Tongue

NO

you shouldn't have installed win7 imo, if you go back on xp i swear everything will come back to normal Big grin

madbringer wrote: