Need advice on MX518 alternative

34 replies [Last post]
UnknownUser807
Reno's picture
The time has come... I've killed my 5th, (yes 5th) MX518 in 2 years, and i'm really sick of this mouse.

Whats the best alternative? Bear in mind that i'm extremely used to this mouse, so i'd like something similar. I'm not really bothered about 1000000 dpi as long as it's at least 1600.

cheers

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

animalchik
fala.q3's picture

depends if are u high or low sensitivity user and how u hold the mice (where the fingers lay, palm claw grip?)

A3060 sensors up to 800cpi is the shit u should definitely look at, it is used in mices like AK-47, X710FS, X710BK, X710MK, Ikari Optical

then the S3688 sensors up to 1800cpi used in DA, Salmosa, MX518 rev.3, Diamonback 3G

and the mouse that seems to have the most durability is a Mircosoft WMO or IE 3.0 (400dpi sensor)

u might try as well Kinzu or X3 but then u have no guaranty they will keep up at low sensitivity

I am addicted to life.

(HK)Spider
spider's picture

I had the same mouse for several years. I jumped to razor habu and i must say is good enough to please your hand as old mx518.

Slides are way smoother than mx518 and my precision improved a lot. Its very customizable and since i got it im getting a lot of insta accel reflects shot.

When i had mx518 i used sensitivity in a range of 2.5 to 3.5 with an accel from .5 to 1 using 1600dpi most of the time and with windows mouse slider up to 70% of the bar.

With this new habu mouse i run 2000dpi with 2.0 of sens and .7 of accel making my gameplay smooth as never before. I simply love it.

Imo you can jump to the same mouse too, (microsoft molded mouses are very comfort) but the main reason that i bought this one is because my mx suddenlty died and i had to buy one asap.

So i went to a pc retail shop and this one was at the comfort price of 24 bucks (special) . No doubt, i bought it and i think i did a good move.

Maybe you can go razer but if you are very used to logitech ergonomics beacuse of your hand, you should stick to Logitechs or as i told ya, the fusion betwen Razer and Microsoft did a great thing. Comfort and precision

Quote:
.: | h3ktor dice:
XD
phail ;_;

Visit: http://www.excessiveplus.net/spider/

UnknownUser807
Reno's picture

thanks for the quick response.

i'll give you a bit more info, as my 1st post was vague.

1) I play with low sensitivity + a touch of mouse acceleration
2) I need at very minimum, 2 side buttons + the middle scroll click in button
3) I am very aggressive with the mouse (slam/throw/pull.. Especially when i'm losing or if i'm drunk, which causes the wire connection at the mouse end to damage everytime.

Is there a mouse that has protection against such damage? Like something to stop the wire from getting damaged so fast.

4) I think this is the closest to how I hold the mouse Big grin (it's v1 from your topic)

Thanks for the help again

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

NecrogeddoN
necrogeddon's picture

Logitech g500. That's probably what I'm going to get when it's time to put the MX510 behind me.

• NVidia GeForce 8400GS

• Logitech MX510

• Hyperglide Teflon Skates

• Steelpad QcK+

• iHome IH-K200MB

• SB Live! 5.1 Platinum

• Logitech Precision Gaming Headphones

• Insignia 32" HDTV

(HK)Spider
spider's picture

I would always suggest by my experiences, and i only have spend enough time playing with 2 mouses: mx518 and habu razer

About your point #2 i can give you this great detail:

"Habu has switchable side buttons so you can really find out wich one fits more for your thumb." Default suited more for myself.

As for your wire damage, you can always buy some clips to hold your cable on something like your mousepad or some edge of your desktop. Thats how i have mine.

Honestly its very personal in the time to pick up a mouse to feed your needs. By the style of your holding mouse (3 fingers on top) i tried playing with mx518 and microsoft like habu razer and i felt better on habu, easier to move and more precise when the time to react arrived.

I would ask Fala for an advice if i was you, he has plenty experience on testing out mouse, and in a very technitian way, he can help you find the best one to make your gameplay as best as posible.

Razer deathAdder, microshit razer habu, microsoft mx518 imo best mouses out there.

But going to mx518 will limit your exploration capabilites, i suggest you to switch from logitech to Razer, give it a chance. But if you dont feel good enough, try necros "will" mouse, all i heard is good things from it and plenty good railers out there improved a lot since they got it.

Quote:
.: | h3ktor dice:
XD
phail ;_;

Visit: http://www.excessiveplus.net/spider/

CZE|BEAZT
beazt's picture
Need advice on MX518 alternative
UnknownUser807 wrote:

thanks for the quick response.

i'll give you a bit more info, as my 1st post was vague.

1) I play with low sensitivity + a touch of mouse acceleration
2) I need at very minimum, 2 side buttons + the middle scroll click in button
3) I am very aggressive with the mouse (slam/throw/pull.. Especially when i'm losing or if i'm drunk, which causes the wire connection at the mouse end to damage everytime.

Is there a mouse that has protection against such damage? Like something to stop the wire from getting damaged so fast.

4) I think this is the closest to how I hold the mouse Big grin (it's v1 from your topic)

Thanks for the help again

Razer Mamba is wireless or wired mouse. You can use detachable cable. http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-mamba/

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite | AMD Ryzen 7 5800x (water cooled) | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gigabyte Radeon Rx 6800XT | Creative Audigy RX | 500GB SSD (macOS 13) + 1TB SSD (W11P) + 3TB HDD | Apple Magic Keyboard + Logitech G603

animalchik
fala.q3's picture

@Spider, u need to know disadvantages of moving windows sensitivity slider.

U shouldn’t absolutely touch it at all from the default center position because this notch gives u 100% accurate calculations.

If u did speed up sensitivity by the windows slider the pointer will skip over some pixels on the screen, and the mouse will definitely be no accurate as it should be.

If u reduced the speed by the windows slider, windows going to skip some cpi commands which again going to make unaccurate crosshair movement. The only way to reduce the sensitivity is to choice the right notch that going to work like 2cpi=1px 3cpi=1px, I have not enough time to link u the table now, will update the post latter.

At the end I think u should reconsider more dpi mouse Winking

@Reno, I was wondered yesterday what to say, actually I can't find the "perfect" mouse for myself, all of them have cons and pros like the holding methods.

U can't also do much about the cable, this is the first thing that break up in logitech mices, and I also damaged it quickly on mine ak-47, the best cable but really stiff have WMO (double shield) its heave and not flexible but has the most durability. I actually mounted the cable from WMO to mine AK-47 after original Ak-47 cable broke up.

As I said before the WMO is like Russian "Kalasznikow" no matter how dirty the surface or sensor is no matter what surface u do use, it will work in any circumstances while other mices will fail. the thing what limits this mouse is 400cpi, but its definitely should be the first choice of every gammer.

I think u should choice over Salmosa 1800cpi or AK-47 800cpi, u need to know that Salmosa is designed for Yours mice hold style but it have negative acceleration in 1800cpi mode (800cpi works without any accel) also the quality of finishing is better on the razer mice, but both companies a4tech an razer are known to have lots of problem with durability. also there is difference between these two, salmosa tends to be more sensitive, while Ak-47 in same situations behave to be less sensitive, and it gives illusion that salmosa works on faster sensitivity while both mices have exact same settings. Personally I don’t like these to sensitive mices and I prefer ak-47 because it feels more exact on what I’m doing, although Salmosa can be better in precise long distance aiming situations the flip shots on ak-47 seems to be better.

both mices aren’t to big, someone with small hands can hold them both styles claw or palm but someone with bigger hands will not have the possibility to use palm grip. In Your situation there I snow worry because u declared claw style.
Also DeathAdder is a good choice, the DA sensors behaves better then Salmosa (no negative accel in all cpi gears, it simply feels in aiming little better, 3 cpi gears instead of two used in Salmosa), but it has definitely a problem with shape that is uncomfortable if u hold mouse by 2 fingers on right, and slippy grip in case of Yours hold style but way more comfortable than while u trying to place 2 fingers on the right side.
So if u going to choice by the sensor DA win the competition, but if u taking in consideration more control and better hold then the Ak-47 or Salmosa take the top place. While Ak-47 can be hold by 1 or two fingers on the right Salmosa can be hold only by 1 finger on the right. Ak-47 wins, if wee looking at the shape, overall competition because it tends to be more universal than Salmosa is.

I did compared 2 fastest sensors on the market, but if u feel u don’t need as that fast sensors u might consider buying some other mices.
Kinzu Xay still have problems and steelpad promised to solve these problems with new firmware. also the mice mentored by Necro G500 uses outstanding good sensor but I don't know much about it, and it is like lottery "it will have traction loss or not nobody knows" it is worth considering for You Spider also because it seems u need more dpi over the mouse and both of u are used to mxshape. people saying on the net that G500 has little correction in the shape and it lay better in the hand than mx5xx mices.

Out of time cl Winking

I am addicted to life.

mow Q [EN]

wow, i am not sarcastic now, but i never cared really so many details before i bought a mouse. I usually go into media-markt, hold my hand on the mouse, check if the thumbuttons work for me, and that was it. at home i simply fit the sens until i get my 5 cm for U-Turn, and than i am finished. I never had the impression that i got now better or worse acc. I also used just 3 different mice the last 10 years. I used a 0/8/15 ball-mouse before 2003, than i used a mx1000 Big grin for a couple of years (have it now in usage at work), than i used 2 copperheads a couple of years, than i use now a diamondback now for 1,5 years (copperhead was not available in media markt, when i bought the diamondback, and since diamondback is very similiar to copperhead with holding the mice, i bought it).

outofhere!
hook's picture

good tip and very happy with my mouse...

Roccat Kone

http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Mice/ROCCAT-Kone/

Fragmovies and more Arrow Click ME!

AsphyxEvents Website Arrow Click ME!

[MR.]RIDDLER

Expect to pay around 50 quid for the Kone or G500.