graphic card problem

26 replies [Last post]
equinox

help please, good people Big grin
|'ve set up some old/new configuration of pc, and i'm having some problems with running quake on this one. I got xp profesional with SP3, 2.7Ghz AMD Athlon and 512Mb DDR1 ram.Yeh i know its shit config but its only temporary since my old died, and untill i buy a normal machine i need to use this friends old one.
Btw, graphic card is the problem (or some settings related to it) It's Nvidia GeForce 6600 and im having problem with running quake 3 on this. When i open q3 it starts bugging and loading slowly frame by frame and its impossible to start a game. Anyone knows how can i fix this, and what to do ,i would appreciate help.

!@#$%&*( terror )_
terror's picture

I had similar pc few years ago and was playing e+ without a problem, ofcourse resolution that i used was 640x480 Happy and vertex light but it was 125fps all the way.

try deleting q3config.cfg and turning on q3 from start Happy also do some hdd defragmentation and overall clean up this rusty pc with antyviruses etc.

equinox
Re: graphic card problem
!@#$%&*( terror )_ wrote:

I had similar pc few years ago and was playing e+ without a problem, ofcourse resolution that i used was 640x480 Happy and vertex light but it was 125fps all the way.

try deleting q3config.cfg and turning on q3 from start Happy also do some hdd defragmentation and overall clean up this rusty pc with antyviruses etc.

i already did all the maintenance that is needed, installed new OS, found all the drivers, everything installed fresh and from scratch,defragmented hdd, tried to delete q3config and tried to run it again ,but no use, i still bugs, and freezes , can't figure out what is the problem O_o

MOJOJOJO
MOJOJOJO's picture

Maybe the VGA card dying. The problem was similiar with my friend's old Geforce 6600GT. The games ran slowly and frozen. We could not fix it.

MOJOJOJO
MOJOJOJO's picture

But this may not to be 100% VGA problem, maybe the old PSU.

//▲~ GMZ ~▲\\

If the issue begin right at the main menu, then it is more probable to be some CPU problem and not VGA.... make sure it doesn't over heat, make sure the fan of CPU is working well,

If you are sure it is the VGA and not ram or CPU,

Lower all the settings at the VGA control panel, and make sure to swtich off (v sync) option..

Also check VGA heat, if it overheat, try to fix or change the fan,

At the game side, also make sure settings are at the lowest,

at the game option

* sync every frame: off

* high quality sky: off

and at the system panel, make sure all are at the lowest possible..

* GL extention: try on or off .........

Keep us updated

edit: are you sure Graphics Card's driver is installed/ installed properly?

Have fun at E+ and never take it with hard feelings no matter how much you lose nor how much stupid or dump or punk or bad or blithering idiot the player you are playing with really is, it's just a game and we are here to have fun and enjoy our times!!

3m'genesis
G3n3sis's picture

try installing some older gfx driver , it might be driver related issue

equinox

ok i found some older driver for this card, and installed, and now my quake3.exe opens and i can enter menu but depends on how i make video settings in menu. when i open game and start single player session the colors are messed up and everything around me is black. What about trying with UniBlue Driver Scanner, cuz i've heard that its automatically finding the best drivers for hardware components. Should i give it a try? Or is there some better driver scanner maybe?

*ZMB*INEED$*
spraw's picture

I can offer you a half PC if you are interested. CPU FX 4100, GPU MSI 7850 1GB/OC, MB MSI 760GM-P23 and 4GB RAM @1600 mhz for 220 EUR. Happy

3m'genesis
G3n3sis's picture

when everything around u its black try setting the /r_overbrightbits to 2 and r_mapoverbrightbits to 2 aswell it will fix the problem

V1979
V1979's picture

To check your VGA try dxdiag. If it works ok, then remove your q3config.cfg and try default settings. If there are bugs, then download and install legacy drivers.