sv_fps 30 is not enuf

17 replies [Last post]
rUnThEoN?!
Skullheadq3's picture
Re: sv_fps 30 is not enuf
mago** wrote:

its makes unsyncing , hit missing passed throw

and sometime the shoot shoots after noticeable delay

it didn't desync a few hundred/a thousand players in the last 8 years to my info.
Proof to ur point?

hurrenson: "This idiot is apparently not familiar with a rail/sniper style."

animalchik
fala.q3's picture
rUnThEoN?! wrote:

Anyways, sv_fps above 30 cause bit higher ping for just a very slight improvement in calculation while smoothness of the game you see stays the same.
The smoothness of sv_fps 30 is 33msec per frame. When using 50 it only decreases to 20msec per frame. 14msec is Barely a difference for a human.

actually it does not, the informations are still outdated since q3 engine sends maximum 30pps, when u set it more than 30 its just send more data in one packet and hence biger packet size increase ping

I am addicted to life.

(*WASP*SH▲DOWKNIGHT)
Site administrator
haxxus's picture

Let me refresh this post , Weve tested 30-50 fps in the past , it does not increase any ping as long as the user sets its /snaps same as the servers fps , yet I don't seem to feel a difference in performance so been using 40 as a good medium for a long time, Recently V freezer admin posted that their using 50 fps now because :

This is reducing the snapshot delay to 20 ms (1000 / 50) but also brings benefits such as corrected strafing (annoying slides) and bit smoother gameplay! ..

Wondering the legitimacy of that comment, same as for sv_maxrate higher than 25000

DR*DIABLO
EL-D1ABL0's picture

i also been pretty curious bout this cvar too, always wanted edit it on my server cfg and check it out but was lazy...now after years and after known battlefield series, looking at this cvar again, reminds of of battlefield tickrate system in server browser, 30hz, 60hz etc....is it same thing then? the tickrate in battlefield is about this data transfer accuracy between server n client, movements etc, also implies when u go hide behind a wall before get shot but u still die, so makes me think its same as sv_fps....any ideas? i'd like to hear skull bout it

|¯FC_| Suchspeed<-
DR*DIABLO wrote:

i also been pretty curious bout this cvar too, always wanted edit it on my server cfg and check it out but was lazy...now after years and after known battlefield series, looking at this cvar again, reminds of of battlefield tickrate system in server browser, 30hz, 60hz etc....is it same thing then? the tickrate in battlefield is about this data transfer accuracy between server n client, movements etc, also implies when u go hide behind a wall before get shot but u still die, so makes me think its same as sv_fps....any ideas? i'd like to hear skull bout it

stfu. dont make look that u have idea

Aero wrote:
who enters into my anus kurwa!!!!!

DR*DIABLO
EL-D1ABL0's picture

ahahaha shut up n keep play minecock Tongue

flaki
(*WASP*SH▲DOWKNIGHT) wrote:

Recently V freezer admin posted that their using 50 fps now because:
This is reducing the snapshot delay to 20 ms (1000 / 50) but also brings benefits such as corrected strafing (annoying slides) and bit smoother gameplay! ..

Yeah... Sv_fps 50 is nice and it improves a bit the physics but im not sure if i will keep it cuz unfortunately some players got still bad connection for this...

I have done some research and tests about sv_fps in the past, so lemme try to explain:

sv_fps value defines the delay between each snapshot (1000/sv_fps = delay ms)...Less delay between snaps means more server info to client... every current event in game like: movement or player/hitbox position are saved continuously as a snapshot and is send in packet to client. If client has smaller /snaps value than sv_fps then it will cause a higher ping until stutters bcuz the info from server is bottlenecked...

So a higher sv_fps value will make the server more accurate, cuz more snaps -> more info -> more accuracy. The disadvantage of it is that higher sv_fps increases the necessity of a connection bandwidth. In theory everyone nowadays should have a decent connection but in reality some play even through cellphone internet xd...

Test revealed that already sv_fps 50 can cause little spikes in lagometer for few players...Also the cpu usage is increasing with higher sv_fps. The best way is to find a good compromise...Sv_fps 40 (25ms) and 20 (50ms) turned out to be the best values. Have in mind that a lower sv_fps value has a more negative effect to e.g. the hit behind corner bug using a delag/unlagged feature on server...Sv_fps 30 was onced in fashion but the result is an odd value 1000/30= 33.333 ms (not sure if this has any influence)