[Resolved]Quake3 100% CPU usage

46 replies [Last post]
*ZMB*INEED$*
spraw's picture

I had this problem with Battlefield Bad Company 2. Try this... open your pc. remove cooler from processor and see if u have that paste on it. I didnt have and when i put a little it worked great! Massive FPS improvement! Try it and tell me if it worked. Peace! Happy

AoQ | SIMPS
Simpson's picture

just got a new cpu cooler and temps are perfect Happy

cpu doesnt throttle.

Phenom II X2 550 BE @ X4 @ 4x3.1Ghz 1.35v (Unlocked to Quad)
4GB DDR2 800 CL4
Sapphire HD6850 @930/1150Mhz

SHUDDER
shudder's picture

I was about to suggest disabling Catalyst A.I. cause my problems with performance had returned and I've just found this solution. Now I see BlackKitty gave this answer already. Strange that it doesn't work in your case. U sure its disabled? (option is "Disable Catalyst AI" - so it should be checked)

Akz

Ok guys, I have the same problem.

Quake 3 runs at 100% on both cores. Every Quake 3 player on every system has this problem I guess. The major problem is that I can't play on the laptop, because the system overheats and the cooler goes crazy.

The slowdowns are probably caused by the excessive amount of heat produced by your system, so your CPU slows down to prevent system failure. I've installed BES v1.3.8 to limit CPU usage but it made the game lag like hell.

So, I solved the problem by changing the CPU max power state under the control panel energy options. (I'm running Windows 7). Just changed minimum to 5% and maximum to 50%. (Just create a new profile and name it quake 3, for ex.) Now the game runs flawlessly and the cooler can barely be heard.

Hope this trick helps you.

PS: Starcraft players had this problem too, but there is a patch that fix this. I couldn't find any for quake or other old games based on this engine.

Info: Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Turion II M500, ATI HD4200, 4GB RAM, Quake 3 v1.32

mow Q [EN]
Akz wrote:

Ok guys, I have the same problem.

Quake 3 runs at 100% on both cores. Every Quake 3 player on every system has this problem I guess.

actually no, look at the screen on the right side.

AoQ | SIMPS
Simpson's picture

guys, stop posting the same all over again.

its not a heat problem in any way. but im done with it anyway cause i got quadcore again Happy

Phenom II X2 550 BE @ X4 @ 4x3.1Ghz 1.35v (Unlocked to Quad)
4GB DDR2 800 CL4
Sapphire HD6850 @930/1150Mhz