problem with connection in windows 7 64bit

27 replies [Last post]
APOLLO
APOLLO's picture
Re: problem with connection in windows 7 64bit

Yes FranK, u are right Happy --> I forgot "running" Sad
all the others, just stupid i..... - Qordis, ppfffff - the biggest 1!! Happy
@Bozo:
I have some years experience with computer that are full of programs.
NO Windows system is after 1-2 years of use, and after the installation
and uninstallation of programs, as fast as after a new installation.
programs that interfere with each others, running processes increase the
load that occur over the time and pollute the registry. and and and
all this makes your system slower
no offense people, but: 1. inform you
2. think about it
3. and when you are SURE, you have something CLEVER to say
--> say it without offending others!!

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing.
Never Be The First To Get Old!! Happy

I am not responsible for what you think or say, just for what I say!
I never howl with the wolves, don't speak another to hear.
I have my own opinion & I insist.
Those who do not get along have only themselves to blame.

FranK
frank's picture

dont forget disk defragmentation, especialy if you only have 1 hd and have virtual memory using a lot of that disk too.

One thing, on topic.. I had some problems with java, and problem with connection to some sites especialy secure sites. I flushed out the dns cache, which cured these problems, and it also seems to have cured the connecting to a server through the ingame browser, i still have issues launching single player skirmish.

There may be some help here, or at least a part solution. Although i'm not convinced this is the complete answer.

"Beauty can cover a multitude of sins. But underneath, we all look exactly the same."

Frank Breitkopf :- no way out

rUnThEoN?!
Skullheadq3's picture
APOLLO wrote:

no idea Sad
I also use win 7 64 bit too playing q3 (win 7 32 sucks), but I have NO PROBLEMS Happy
my win 7 64 bit is JUST for q3 and nothing else. just win 7 and a antivirus program - more programs make the system slower Winking

NC - There is no program that ever makes a pc as slow as ANY antivirus, due to live scanning of ram memory therefor delaying anything that happens in the pc.

9d1c65341c2e4ed7 wrote:

That's sheer nonsense. I'm on a 5 years old Windows XP with hundreds of programs and games installed and this system is as fast as it was the day it was built. Technically speaking, there is absolutely no reason why a system with lots of software would be slower than a system with only a few applications installed.

Sheer nonsense, true dat for your post too - I'm sorry.

Winxp has some basic configuration stuff that makes it slower compared to win7, but sametime its easier to handle for most people.

A: Winxp has a read it all out registry, anything installed will turn into a registry entry and on windows loadup all of the registry will be loaded, therefor making a pc slower as longer as it runs the same winxp.

B: All devices ever installed on the pc will cause the driver to be remembered, you can look that up by going into save mode and look under driver manager there, very critical if you changed motherboard during that time, thats why most people recommended a win reinstall if you changed mobo. (apart from driver/boot issues caused due to the sudden change).

C: Winxp has worse multicore cpu support, win7 can handle that way better. Sametime win7 needs a few more processes, if you are insane and want to render stuff you can run winxp on just 3 processes which is overkill, 7 is good and 13 is minimum you need for a running system with q3 (ask necrogeddon).
For convenience I run my winxp basically at 17 processes after bootup (such stuff as dhcp client).

Also people are always afraid of a virus - while a virus just does unspecific collective damage, a hacked pc does specific damage, therefor Defense > virus protection. I do not have an antivir, but its pretty hard to get a virus as long as you don't browse the wrong sites or get your pc hacked (which is pretty not happening if you protect it good enough and nobody is interested in you). Hardware firewall is best, I have both, hardware to block the incoming and software to block win processes from accessing the net (such as internet explorer or other win processes which are not r0).

edit: back to topic, if you click quake3.exe, does it start instantly?

hurrenson: "This idiot is apparently not familiar with a rail/sniper style."

FranK
frank's picture

NC - There is no program that ever makes a pc as slow as ANY antivirus, due to live scanning of ram memory therefor delaying anything that happens in the pc.

what about running av just from one core? av can get on with its job, while other processes run without interferience?

"Beauty can cover a multitude of sins. But underneath, we all look exactly the same."

Frank Breitkopf :- no way out

BOZO
Bozo's picture
APOLLO wrote:

NO Windows system is after 1-2 years of use, and after the installation and uninstallation of programs

Sure it is. I still have the benchmark results from 5 years ago when I had built that system. The results today are still the same. How? Because I know how to really keep a system clean. No, I'm not using these voodoo tools that are advertised everywhere.

APOLLO wrote:

running processes increase the load that occur over the time and pollute the registry.

Then again, you are obviously unable to keep your system clean of unused/old software or drivers. The registry is loaded into the RAM, as Skull correctly said. You know how fast current modules work? The time needed to read from RAM is just a few nanoseconds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Chips_and_modules
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM#Modules

Facing the amount of RAM modern computers have (2, 4, 8 GB?) and how fast modern RAM is it's hilarious to say that a polluted registry slows a system down. By what? 5 ns? And you can feel that? The c't did measurements about such rumours some time ago. The results showed that all these rumours about this or that is slowing down a system are just not true. It's the humans perception that fools him. If the times are scientifically measured then there mostly isn't any difference. (voo doo)

- There is a popular misconception that the value of registry cleaning lies in reducing "registry bloat".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner#Advantages_and_disadvantages

rUnThEoN?! wrote:

don't browse the wrong sites

Yet another wrong assumption. Most infections these days are so-called "drive-by" infections. Websites that are mostly attacked are not these hacks/cracks/sex sites. For criminals it's much more efficient to infect "trustworthy" websites. People are more careless when they are on such websites, therefore it's easier to infect their systems (website white-listed in NoScript for example). Latest news about such case: http://www.heise.de/security/meldung/BSI-warnt-vor-kompromittierten-Online-Shops-1323322.html

DR*DIABLO
EL-D1ABL0's picture
mow Q [EN] wrote:

Man, i am already used to crap in this forum, but ur post is, apollo, wins the crap-award 2011.

ololo goddamn right dude

rUnThEoN?!
Skullheadq3's picture

tell that flex, that nerd used black background for his windows to save some byte physical ram. Considering this a bigger registry slows the loading process of windows, ofc just by a few nano/milliseconds, but still its theoretically slower.

Furthermore trusted websites are subjective, same goes to used programs and browsers.

Btw, if we really talk about optimising a pc for speed, we should talk about the bottleneck of systems rather then small stuff as you already pointed out Smug

hurrenson: "This idiot is apparently not familiar with a rail/sniper style."

mow Q [EN]

@snake, or worm or whatever ur animation should display:

True and true. The last virus i catched was when i downloaded drivers for my mouse @ the razer-site, all dirvers where temporary infected and this from developers site. They fixed the downloads within 8 hours, but was enough to infect a few hundred pcs with poor antivirus like Avira Antivir. So, there is effectivly no "carefull surfing".

For my system i can say, it doesn't matter how many proccesses I run on a normal usage, all benchmarks bring more or less the same result. While i play i can't use any other progs anyway. I can even download a huge file, rip a blueray and change a format of a movie at the same time and i still can play e. g. metro 2033 at the same time on max. I mean, i tryed that once, this is not usual behavior Winking (current system, click my profile or this link: http://www.sysprofile.de/id27892)

On my last pc (Q6600, 8GB DDR 2, Radeon HD 5770, you can have it, make an offer or ask for more details Winking) i couldn't do this, true, but on usual behavior i could play Q3 anytime, even with many background-processes and a few normal progs, also modern games, like Masseffect 2, Fallout New Vegas, Dragon Age 2, all NP.

To have a noticable effect from background processes on gaming, even on older PCs, u have to have really heavy background process.

A different thing is, using progs which get in conflict with the game you play. Or if u have a slow internet and u run a update or a other download and u try to play a online game, but that is something else.

A AV-livescan shouldn't affect a game like Q3, a full scan is something else.

So, dear apollo, u speak about trivials.

PS: If my opinion is, that ur post is crap, than it is my opinion and no offense, even if i could be wrong.

@nagi: you could try also once without any compatibility mode.

APOLLO
APOLLO's picture

for all: I was right. how much slower (is NOT important) is depending from a lot of factors.
each of you has said something true, but not the whole truth!
my opinion is that this can't be said directly - it depends on too many factors (drivers, hardware and software, conflicts between drivers and running progs and processes,....)
we don't want to split hairs here.

@BOZO (the worm Happy ) u mby know how u can keep your pc clean, but most people don't know that!
this is good for u and also good for me (I don't say why!) Winking

@QORDIS u are in my opinion also the first on the list for the win of the a.....e award. of course, no offense my dear.

back to topic
@NAG! if u don't know what u have changed - installed new progs/drivers or uninstalled progs/drivers or some updates/windows updates --> it will be better too save your data too an external hard drive and after that u install win 7 64 bit again. that will save you much time and hassle Winking I've done recently that and now works Q3 and also the PB fine.

EDIT:
@NAG! I forgot, if u don't have other problems with your win 7 64 - just this 1 with q3 - u can install win 7 64 on a new partition or hd - and just for q3, nothing else. I did the same and all is well now Happy

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing.
Never Be The First To Get Old!! Happy

I am not responsible for what you think or say, just for what I say!
I never howl with the wolves, don't speak another to hear.
I have my own opinion & I insist.
Those who do not get along have only themselves to blame.

mow Q [EN]

it was you and not me who brought this up "more programs make the system slower", and that is crap. Speed which is not noticable is not worth mentioning. So, if u have right or not, does not matter and really doesn't help nagi at his problem in any way. Also saying "generally win7 32bit is crap" is generally wrong.

So, stop beeing a nitpicker please.

Btw. are u somehow related to this k1ll3r?