How are the cheats handled in 1.32?

23 replies [Last post]
.aNk/xXxp4l/:bR.Shady'XYN!
ShadyAK's picture

part #2

rUnThEoN?! wrote:

So check your facts about bans/etc.
oh, nothing as easy as that, you banned me on edawn irc with no reason (i didnt even say a word for months there?). In that way you are no better as rld banning zack from his forum.

Oh boo-hoo. First of all, IRC channel bans happen a lot of times anyway, and are not representation of anything. Third of all, that ban wasn't permanent, fourth of all you're no saint either, since I can recall you stalking me on public servers than using ref commands to repeatedly kick me for random abusement when I made fun of you by renaming Skullhead [13] in a private PCW that you weren't invited to. Fifth of all, how exactly tempbanning you from a channel you don't even frequent as an in-joke between me and other members of that channel as a sort of childish get back to being repeteadly kicked on quake servers is equal to using elaborate ruses to get people to register to a cup then abusing your power and ban people for no reason? Sixth of all, who gives a fuck, and that whole episode didnt matter anything at all, as we've had plenty of random arguments and jokes at expense of the other one (granted, my side more, but you must agree both sides are equally guilty for perpetuating arguments etc) but I can't hold any single event which would make me thing "wow, that skullhead really gets my goat, let's travel to Dusiburg to meet Base and then go to Skull's city and pay an African or Turkish immigrant 20 euros to kidnap him and/or assrape him", and I don't have any valid or concrete opinions of you that are completely negative.

rUnThEoN?! wrote:

About the rules shady, if you get any idea to improve them, go ahead. Otherwise call them perfect :3

Sorry in advance for long reply Sad

There are a fuckton, involving rules, standard CW procedures, as well as cup formats and mandatory cup procedures, the referee team, the ranking ladder, sub-forums.

cos like

1) The anticheating distopia thing has to stop. PB and pure are required and should be, but the APM procedures atm are over the top. It's a serverside tool, and any server owner should be able to set their own checkerpassword and it's up to the paying owner of server to regulate the level of awareness. I'd find it much better to know that anyone with enough trust to hold rcon over a server to regulate the anticheat and that the only person active around the servers with the current ability to suddenly change the anticheat strength on a server DarkAngle)) or BlackRose (names used purely for example, if someone is offended then please replace those names above with any others: Pusik/Sombra/ZeroQL/LithXIV/Fragma/Shadow.ru/Merky/whatever) are on without them realising anything changed, not atm with a closed beta team with the only active member being around them being "skullhead". It would, in fact, have a much better effect since unkonwn cheaters who are hiding it would not be able to know jsut when and where it's turned on, and either stop hacking or eventually get caught. Just my 2 cents.

2) The whole referee team idea for mandatory CWs can easily be replaced with a server-side bot that would record MVDs remotely. Referees would only be needed in cup wars where checking compliance with map lists and APLs (allowed player lists). So basically reverting to the original and functional cw/ref system that was around when Faith was in charge of Events sub-domain. Because at the moment it's full of pointless beaurocracy.

3) Cup Formats - lately it's mostly leagues and sometimes a Loser Bracket/Winner Bracket thrown in once in a while. What happened to 4-clan round robin? Swiss tourney system? Quick one-day cups with a head2head? No variation is bad and results in similar tourneys. Also, the meinspiel.de is a horrible cup organizer system. Tourney.cc and challonge are much better at sorting groups and tables and knockout brackets, and the tables and websites look more friendly and professional. And cup rules are just copy+pasted from previous cups, and due to interchangable admins and nobody knowing any better, even the rules and problems that arise in previous cups dont have rules amended due to breakdown of communication. Which brings us to the next point:

4) Cup Points System - current one is a niche, but it works well in round robin 4- or 5- participant groups (for example, Oskaliber's FFT, the last actually good cup that was in e+), where each result matters and losing a map could be a ptoblem even though you still win. It's a small amount of clans in a group, so having that +1 or -1 point could be crucial in a tie environment and could help you qualify/lose out. However with a large amount of clans, the system becomes flawed and a bit of a clusterfuck. The only things that should matter (and come in terms of tied groups) are

i ) Match Win/Loss ratio
ii) Map Win/Loss ratio
iii) Frag(tdm)/Round(CA/Freeze)/Cap(ctf) ratio
iv) Head to head results.

There was a time in the latest freeze tag when zmb had a 100% win rate, best map ratio and were third in league behind 2 clans that had both losses and worse map ratios than us. When that sort of thing happens, you know it's fucked up.

5) The CW ranking for the ELO ladder and cup ranking should be different things. Without explanation, I would write "cos ESL/CLanbase does it", with an explanation I will say that event wars and just ladder wars are different and tend to have different objectives, serve different purposes and requirements. A clan's cup campaign is there for a certain amount of time and requires training results, and either payout with progress or shame/misery with a knockout, while just ladder ranking is more of a tool for 1) practicing your teamwork in an excercise which simulates a "must win" environment with slightly more at stake than a normal PCW(fw). People that play a random ranked CW don't care about cup progression at the time, and a clan that has to win a match in order to get out of group and qualify in second place doesn't give a fuck about gaining +25 ELO points. Different situations should be regulated differently, not clumped together. (I think this is the case with duel ranking anyway, but not with Clan Ranking)

6) Integration of excessiveplus members on other quake 3 portals and communities as a promotional tool to show that excessive players aren't stereotypes and are intelligent people with awareness of the whole quake scene and their current part within the quake3 community (that would be the instagib area), as well as demonstration of excessive's ability to be a meta-mod which could emulate (sometimes even successfully!) other mods and rulesets(configs) better not.

7) Timenudge regulations within excessive are retarded. Limit it to between -15 and +15. A sincerely large amount of topics have been covered on these boards about the subject, and there is a phobia of timenudge perpetuated by people who know and understand the concept of timenudge but take a forced stance due to their vision of a completely regulated utopia of a mod (hi, Skull) forcing their views and influence on stupid people who don't understand it but are against it anyway (Hi kabo3m and a few others)

8 ) Community disputes or questionable situations should be put to either a tribunal of around 10-16 trusted individuals or "one clan one vote" rather than just a simple decision by the ranking admins - people do make mistakes or wrong decisions sometimes (hard(1ovely) told me about the bopoh trouble with a last last-second cap, and about the decision to withdraw it in one of our fortnightly "lol excessive" talk, and I can say it doesn't feel like a right decision. Having said that - even if it is a tribunal or a clan vote, the rank admins should still have an important say in the matter and lead the general flow of the conversation - FPS and Fate are the best and most impartial ranking mods this site has seen ever since Dark(Lord).

9) ClanDB is a clusterfuck. Directly tied in to rules and competition, since it lowers the presentability of the website. They should be arranged by category, which should be: 1) Their Status (National Team/Clan/Team) and clans should further be divided into Plus(bro)/Excessive(5/5r/6)/Railonly(with compulsory nades and BFG ofc)/any other config or gameplay which may catch on and give healthy clan competition here) and Funteams/Clubs should be last at the bottom. Each category arranged in alphabetical order, and dead (or under review/assumed inactive) clans should be completely hidden out of view from that page.

10) Spectators should not be allowed in clanwars, or at least be limited to 1 (coach) per clan. Presence of spectators affects games, since they can time armors, remind you of quads, or tell the location of the elusive EFC (enemy flag carrier). I of course agree that clan members and friends of a clan, and just random spectators who wish to see an interesting match, should be allowed to.

11) Game coverage/News Coverage - streaming is de facto nonexistant (e+tv? hi wotsup guys you still alive? seems the only one who profited from that was lanf3ust c: ), commentating is completely non-existant since I said "hi wotsup I dont want to do any more e- streams on PNStv" despite the fact there are some people with prequisities to be able to commentate a play-by-play situation and talk about clan matchups and histories (hi wotsup Zack/SP), GTV which should actually be more important to e+ than streaming is completely nonexistant and the last match covered by GTV, and there are no more news posts, interviews, war descriptions writing about valiant comebacks or results of clan rivalries and ManOfTheMatch-style Rambo performances)? You know, stuff that's interesting and makes people want to play/reminisce about this mod. Right now people can go away for a month or two, come back and not miss anything at all.

12) I'll just write all the other shit which didnt fit in here and get this over with. A horrible sub-forum structure that should be reviewed by somebody with data management experience, potential [+] reputation system, a good looking background that doesn't look like a manifestation of brown noise in .png format, an automatic warning/probation system for forum users rather than having moderators entering custom titles (and not keeping to their own stencils - some people have just "x warnings/x bans" while some have reason for their ban showing.

So yea , the rules are perfect* £:

* APART FROM THE 12 13 MASSIVE POINTS WHICH INVOLVE EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF THE CURRENT STATE OF AFFAIRS OF RANKED E- (INCLUDING RULES, REGULATIONS, STANDARD PROCEDURES AND GENERAL OUTLOOK/BEHAVIOUR) IS CURRENTLY FUCKED EITHER INTENTIONALLY OR INADVERTENTLY, BUT FUCKED NONETHELESS.

p.s. the forum smilies are fucking retarded compared to standard smilies seen on so many PHPBB2/3 servers. Also there's a bug which makes your post appear out of the borders, like it's doing to my broswer right now, and e+ spider lags.

p.p.s. While proofreading I remembered another thing I wanted ro write:

13) Maplists - each cup has a boring, non-imaginative maplist of "pick whatever, and X is your time map" (or at best, gives 3 tie maps and both clans drop one). How about having limited, but varying maplists for games? Ut2004 (and the Tag/TDM e5 combo cup) use(d) a system of fixed maps per round, where every clan plays dm5, overkill in round 3 with dm6 as tie map and other maps on other game rounds. Or you can just have a cup with a 7 map maplist with the drop-drop-drop-drop-pick-pick-tie system. In freeze clans do dm6/dm7/dm8/dm11/cpm14/overkill anyway.

[+]

(*WASP*SH▲DOWKNIGHT) wrote:
nonsense repellent declamatory

rUnThEoN?!
Skullheadq3's picture
Re: How are the cheats handled in 1.32?
.aNk/xXxp4l/:bR.Shady'XYN! wrote:

And regardless, anticheat is not essential towards a growing competition, in a matured and competitive environment, they just aren't needed (like so many other q3 mods and variations of quake), as the cheaters will sooner or later

Excuse me sir, but it seems you cut off ur own sentence.
Anyways, I already stated that the best has nothing to do with esl trusted, anticheats and so on. In case of doubts you can still use a anticheat to check. (as long as you have demos all the time, cuz thats really not much effort)

Third of all, that ban wasn't permanent

I dont care if it wasn't permanent, being banned for more then a week is a total different thing compared to kicking someone from a server.

fourth of all you're no saint either, since I can recall you stalking me on public servers than using ref commands to repeatedly kick me for random abusement when I made fun of you by renaming Skullhead [13] in a private PCW that you weren't invited to.

I got informed due to someone asking if thats me multiclanning, which indeed describes the problem quite exactly.
Skullhead is a akward name, using it has nothing to do with "its my name just let me go". It is such a stupid name I dropped it for myself. However people call me skull nontheless. Besides that, I am not stalking you on purpose of stalking - I was stalking you on purpose of getting stuff right where I normally ignore you completely - since years.

Fifth of all, how exactly tempbanning you from a channel you don't even frequent as an in-joke between me and other members of that channel as a sort of childish get back to being repeteadly kicked on quake servers is equal to using elaborate ruses to get people to register to a cup then abusing your power and ban people for no reason?

Laws, trolling a cop in Uk doesn't differ from what you described. You should at least apply to some of them so people can have their peace.

Sixth of all, who gives a fuck, and that whole episode didnt matter anything at all, as we've had plenty of random arguments and jokes at expense of the other one (granted, my side more, but you must agree both sides are equally guilty for perpetuating arguments etc)

With the difference that I never would have played any joke on you for my own amusement - unlike you. Once you started, blametrain keeps on rolling.

There are a fuckton, involving rules, standard CW procedures, as well as cup formats and mandatory cup procedures, the referee team, the ranking ladder, sub-forums.

Well seen, rank admin should consider reworking his rules considering that.

1) The anticheating distopia thing has to stop. PB and pure are required and should be, but the APM procedures atm are over the top.

Noone is fine with how the APM atm is, development stopped at the important point between usefull and a good anticheat. However we can not use PB for much longer, as long as even 1 player can not participate in a event because pb doesn't work on his pc there is a need for a better anticheat.

It's a serverside tool, and any server owner should be able to set their own chpassword

Yes and No, on the one side you are right that those stuff should be done by serveradmins, on the other side some people in the community demand a checking of suspicious admins, just like in the sentence I quote here:

Quote:
It would, in fact, have a much better effect since unkonwn cheaters who are hiding it would not be able to know jsut when and where it's turned on, and either stop hacking or eventually get caught.

and it's up to the paying owner of server to regulate the level of awareness.

That has been so since the introduction of the anticheat, the cmd you search is known as xp_anticheatlevel.

I'd find it much better to know that anyone with enough trust to hold rcon over a server to regulate the anticheat and that the only person active around the servers with the current ability to suddenly change the anticheat strength on a server Xyz are on without them realising anything changed

You can not alter the awareness of the anticheat, its hardcoded. You can only change the awareness of when somebody is kicked. That is rconbased and therefor on server admin basis. Refusing the beta team their default access is therefor the worse action then using rcon to set the anticheatlevel to zero.

not atm with a closed beta team with the only active member being around them being "skullhead". It would, in fact, have a much better effect since unkonwn cheaters who are hiding it would not be able to know jsut when and where it's turned on, and either stop hacking or eventually get caught. Just my 2 cents.

Its pretty easy. Anticheat is on ALL the time, on whatever server you are, the anticheat basically runs and detects on all servers the same ways. The moment Borg leaked and Camel changed passwords incognito cheaters were allowed to cheat on any Server with Anticheatlevel 0. This includes distrust to any Server/Rcon owner with knowledge, me excluded since I don't hold Rcon on any server anymore.

Anyways, what I wanted to tell you, we weren't that dumb Tongue If you don't believe get the community to promote a trusted person who I can fill in into the APM.

2) The whole referee team idea for mandatory CWs can easily be replaced with a server-side bot that would record MVDs remotely.

Depends on Demo quality, if we use Defrag quality those demos can take up to 4times the amount of resources of a normal q3 server.

Referees would only be needed in cup wars where checking compliance with map lists and APLs (allowed player lists). So basically reverting to the original and functional cw/ref system that was around when Faith was in charge of Events sub-domain. Because at the moment it's full of pointless beaurocracy.

Oh wow, guess what - I incrased the beaurocrazy for improved gameplay, but I knew exactly that refs are no use for a ladderwar where anyone can do the mvd. Having the need for more refs just decreased ref skills, most aren't even close as competent as you shady.

3) Cup Formats

Aj, thats not in my hand and I tried to show something different with the sdc. Anyways, last One day cups where the fuck cups imo.

5) The CW ranking for the ELO ladder and cup ranking should be different things. Without explanation, I would write "cos ESL/CLanbase does it", with an explanation I will say that event wars and just ladder wars are different and tend to have different objectives

A ladder demonstrates the skill of a clan better as more wars are ranked. And rank only ranks wars who apply to their rules, go create a cup that is different to rank rules (such as no ref needed) and You will get what you want.

[...]better not.

True dat, most people just don't get the basics. Tongue

7) Timenudge regulations within excessive are retarded. Limit it to between -15 and +15. A sincerely large amount of topics have been covered on these boards about the subject, and there is a phobia of timenudge perpetuated by people who know and understand the concept of timenudge but take a forced stance due to their vision of a completely regulated utopia of a mod (hi, Skull) forcing their views and influence on stupid people who don't understand it but are against it anyway (Hi kabo3m and a few others)

Timenudge isn't needed due to unlagged. However you are right, I NEVER said a real argument against timenudge, I can only draw you a try of why it is going to be unfair - Never had the time to actually proof it since its quite a complex netcode thing (not what it does to the code itself but the actual stuff happening ingame cuz of it).

8 ) Community disputes or questionable situations should be put to either a tribunal of around 10-16 trusted individuals or "one clan one vote" rather than just a simple decision by the ranking admins

Ever heard of Democracy means that their stupidity equals my intelligence? You will never get the best out of a iq100 decision where it could be iq130. It is important that everyone has the right to talk, but its more important that decisions get so well reasoned even the stupiest guy can't disagree.

FPS and Fate are the best and most impartial ranking mods this site has seen ever since Dark(Lord).

Darklord? wait a second, the guy who caused Mr to be first in rank due to they having most games played? Your post is in fight with itself.
You know, you sometimes say stuff just for the comparison of how it should be and not what is the truth.

ClanDB is a clusterfuck.

Approved.

10) Spectators should not be allowed in clanwars, or at least be limited to 1 (coach) per clan.

If Refs would ref better as they do right now we wouldn't have that problem.

13) Maplists - each cup has a boring, non-imaginative maplist

Around my time as rank Admin there was the idea to grant bonus points for custom maps (or was that foks? however around 08 imo).

Anyways Shady, as half way educated people we both want kinda the same goal, but our ways to reach it are totally different. Must be personality based.

hurrenson: "This idiot is apparently not familiar with a rail/sniper style."

mow Q [EN]

Still playing 1.16? I mean there is nothing in 1.16 which would be better than in 1.32. Guess smo failed to move ng to 1.32.

Second, you wanna have global-alike banlists for Q3? There is nothing easier to hide a cheat in front of PB in Q3 especially since PB dropped the development for it.

Furthermore, PB-Devs are stupid as shit. When i came back from my holidays i recognized that my bf3 account is banned and I wasn't able to play any bf3 anymore. When i contacted evenbalance they told me I was banned for x22 cheats. 1st of all, i never heard of x22 before, further i was in spain for the accused cheating-times. I also proved that it wasn't me, still, they didn't unbanned me but told me, that there are totally 3 different IPs on my account, all 3 from romania! Hello, I live in Germany! So i contacted the EA support, gave them my proves, but they didn't spend me a new account, even it was not my fault, that my account was hacked, it was a save password which i never entered somewhere else as in origin and in battlelog. They told me, i have to buy a new key.

I was like wtf and wanted never to play BF3 again. But i am a BF3 addict and weeks later i bought it again. So, u see, the support of PB is shit (beside the support of EA, but EA has nothing to do with Q3 Winking)

After that case I researched a lot about cheats and was shocked what is possible nowadays, x22 and aa are the biggest cheat-companies (not supporting Q3), but there are also smaller compannies (which in don't name) which support also Q3 with there "VIP-Hacks", which are for sure not detectable for PB (especially because of the dropped updates) and for sure not für E+ anticheat.

E+ Anticheat can be just taken as a hinter, which can be used to get attention on a possible cheater. For Q3 and E+ is nothing left than your own eyes and your experience to finally catch cheaters.

This is also a reason why i left Q3 since there is nothing which has a chance to protect you from cheaters and my bet is, that at least 1/5 of the reamining players here, do cheat now and than when i look on their skill explosions for example.

Finally i am happy i left here and play BF3 (currently just Mass Effect coop since a couple of weeks to skill finally all weapons). BF3 is so much more complex than Q3, it is just a pitty that DICE and EA didn't look much for to make it more competetive (missing tools like battlerecorder etc., nevertheless it has a strong epl).

But a lil warning, i will be probably back here now and than, i miss playing e+ a litte bit.

Back to topic:
- Who cares who gets banned in another pointrelease
- Why it should care you based on an ac which never came over a beta-status?

Really, old games are really helpless against cheats, at least new games have here and there huge ban-waves since pb doesnt ban instantly anymore but collects cheatusers after a cheatdetecting for a couple of weeks to ban them after with a huge banhammer, this will never happen in Q3.

What Q3 needs is an alternative to PB, which checks the RAM on probably loaded cheats not such a cheap e+ anticheat, which is imo totally pointless against VIP cheats which can can abo for less than 20 $ for lifetime. But guess what, Q3 is too old for a serious AC with serious updates.

For anyone who missed playing bf3 with me, my current account is iFnatic which will probably changed soon into N7-scurvy.