Can i play Quake IV and DOOM 3 with this?

23 replies [Last post]
bert

i guess if you turn down some graphics quality it will do fine in doom3.
but fot 740 dollar you can upgrade to a amd64 3000+ 1GB ram and a gforce6800 256MB.

Skippy

Hellfire theres tons of how-to's out there to show you how its done.And if you have any questions regarding any specifics just ask I'll happily tell you what I know.

Now days with smart bios soft jumper settings upgrading a cpu is plug and play "allmost" you'll probably have more difficulty removing the cooling fan and heatsink than replacing the CPU.

Even updating the bios has become a snap compared to the archiac A:ami/XXXX.bin floppy setup done solely with floppies Tongue That was allways a pain in the A$$.

And also a 2ghz P4 ranges from 39 - 99 buy it now. So on a lucky auction your boost could only run you 40+ dollars after S&H not hundreds.

If I were building a budget Doom 3 system which I am. I'd personally start with...

2ghz or better CPU
512 meg ram bare mininum. personally would do 768 for starters
Your existing MOBO
7200 rpm or better HD you probably allready have a 7200 rpm installed
your existing geeforce 256mb

Total cost 350 maximum and I'm adding on way more than you should actually have to spend ...

With that combo you,ll do fine and it wont break your bank either if you span it over 2 purchases "ram then cpu or vice versa but thats another thread in another forum :P"

And yes 52x is more than fine I was only razzing you on CD speed Tongue.

Btw your Mobo will support 2 Gb of ram though I would'nt waste that much cash on rimms as future games will require more cpu speed and by the time that happens its time for an overhaul not just a upgrade....

.ALIAS.

just 2x512 megs of rambus is $400