2 dedicated servers on p3 500?

17 replies [Last post]
(*WASP..BROKEN*)
trime's picture
Here's the deal, I've been running 2 dedicated servers for a little while now. My ping speeds generaly run around 110-125ish to the spider from the east coast USA. 1 server is TDM 24 players the other is FFA 16 players. Since I've started punkbuster I've noticed some physical lag and intermitent HIGH ping on my client machine. Question is; if I kill 1 server and run the other as a more rounded game ie, TDM, FFA, CTF, and so on different configs on different maps, can I expect some improvement in lag and performance with PB still enabeled,or should I just shut down PB and just run pure alone. Is punkbuster realy neccesary on a general game server.(it is kind of annoing getting popped 5 times in a row 1/2 sec. after respawning hehe) Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated tnx in advance.

escapedturkey
mow Q [EN]

@escaped turkey

Quote:

pb_sv_guidrelax 0

Pretty E+ unfriendly, since here are more than the half not using an original Q3 key. (7 if u do an e+ server)

Quote:

pb_sv_cvar snaps IN 20 60

This is very funny, if the sv_fps of a server is 20, u dont get more snapshots as 20, if the sv_fps is 30 u dont get more snapshots as 30. In E+ the good server have sv_fps 30 and many have 20. It is not necassary to dissalow snaps higher than 60, since it wouldnt have any effect for the player nor for the opponents. Just snaps lower than servers sv_fps does have a negative effect.

I may quote here HQ

Quote:
snaps "40" // max amount of information resivied form server, it can be tracted same as 1snaps = 1fps, more u set more smothy game will be, but in overal it depends more from the server settings "sv_fps" couse u cant resive more data than sever is sending, max u can do use is 125(same as yors fps cap)

Or quote myself:

Quote:
snaps:

Client setting of sv_fps. Determines how many world updates the client receives. Because most servers are running with 20, 25 or 30 fps, a setting of 30 or higher is ideal; anything above sv_fps makes no difference anymore. For some reason the standard setting is 40 - on a few servers you're even getting kicked by punkbuster, if snaps is set to anything else, so just leave it to 40.

The only reason to lower snaps would be, if you have a very poor connection (slower than single ISDN) and/or very few fps (clear below sv_fps), but then better don't play at all.

escapedturkey
mow Q [EN] wrote:

Pretty E+ unfriendly, since here are more than the half not using an original Q3 key. (7 if u do an e+ server)

Using a generated or shared key is illegal. If you're not strict with cd-keys, guid bans become fairly pointless.

Quote:
This is very funny, if the sv_fps of a server is 20, u dont get more snapshots as 20, if the sv_fps is 30 u dont get more snapshots as 30. In E+ the good server have sv_fps 30 and many have 20. It is not necassary to dissalow snaps higher than 60, since it wouldnt have any effect for the player nor for the opponents. Just snaps lower than servers sv_fps does have a negative effect.

Iif you have a server running sv_fps 30, you may want to force people to use /snaps 30 or higher, via PB, for their own sake, or you'll get a lot lag complaints. The other thing to do is spam server messages advising people to use /snaps 30 or higher.

The idea behind the 20 to 60 check is to prevent a person from /snaps lower than 20. Often that can cause an 'artificial lag' effect. 60 was used as ceiling because some people use it and it's not a problem.

(HK) GoddaM
goddam's picture

is it now legal to use a generated cdkey due to the fact that the source code has been released under gpl?

escapedturkey

I don't think so, because the media content is still copyrighted. That's why there are projects like OpenArena with GPL media.

Cool

(*WASP..BROKEN*)
trime's picture

Danm and I thought this was gonna be a dead question, haha. OK so the fps your all talking about, is that the settings in my q3config? mine are unchanged "com_maxfps 85" and sv_fps 20" from what I'm getting I should try settin sv_fps to 40 or mabey higher but what about com_maxfps, shold I leave it alone or change it to 40 50 or 60 as well. Or am I missing the point, should I be looking into pb settings? tnx

mow Q [EN]

Seriosly, it is not illegal to set guidrelax to 7, it is not illegal to let illegal players play on your server. the point with guidbans are pointless for e+. E+ is growing, (yes, still, slower as before, but still), most other mods are shrinking or dieing. For you it is more the point, that u must or should suggest settings to gain legal players, better for ur own reputation (for ur official projects, for ur hostings, etc). But that is something i personaly dont care, since i am interested in e+ and its community (legal or not), and not in profits (serverhostings) of others Winking

About ur snaps, sure it makes sense to limit snaps to at least 20, but a limit for higher snaps is still pointless Happy, u will screw some defragges with it Happy (isnt it skull Big grin)

@trime
i would let ur sv_fps at 20, (dunno about ur connection, but i would, this command is for ur serverside activity if u make a server)

ur com_maxfps is clientside, i suggest to set it at least to 125 (if u have at least a bit moderate gfx card). further set ur maxpackets than to 63 or 125 (also clientside))

About ur other questions, tell us more about ur connection Happy

(the most of the server-owners have hosted somewhere a rootserver with a 100 mbit connection or a gameserver with a similiar connection from a gamerservercompany)

(*WASP..BROKEN*)
trime's picture

OK I was missing something in all of this. I wasnt thinking in terms of server side v client side, only server. So leaving the sv_fps 20 is not an issue on my server, com_maxfps 85 in my server config might do well at something more like 125, and the other stuff like pb settings are client side, yes? My connection speed, fast, cable. It's no T3 but its fast. hehe For now I cut back to 1 server without PB but I still want to put up another and run with PB smoothley if I need it. tnx again

escapedturkey
mow Q [EN] wrote:

For you it is more the point, that u must or should suggest settings to gain legal players, better for ur own reputation (for ur official projects, for ur hostings, etc).

You're 100% correct in this. Happy

mow Q [EN]

anyway, i would suggest, u gonna read the faqs for pb on http://www.evenbalance.com for pb client and pb server.

I may do a more detailed post tomorrow if no one is faster than me. I am still pretty interested what is exaclty ur up- and download speed, there are some test sides where u can find out this.

oh, and dont make doubleposts Big grin

If i know more details about ur pc, memory and ur connection, i would be proberbly able to help u with the server.cfg and ur pbsv.cfg.

OH, and pb makes a littlebit lag by nature for the most people, mainly at the first few minutes when they are on server, for most people this lag disappears after a few minutes. some hardcore people claim to have permanent lag on pb server.