Question

8 replies [Last post]
=High-Energy=
JoeriBaas's picture
I was looking through all the maps i've obtained and now when im sorting them, I would like to change the filenames. Changeing the Pk3 filename has no impact, but I would like to change the BSP filename, change the load screen and remove the bot part and some models from my custom models.
So I tried to google around how to edit the map pk3's and stuff, but no simple basic tutorial how to edit a map or md3.

So, sorry for my stupid question, but is there a tutorial bout how to edit the pk3 files with maps, md3/bots, how the files inside relate to eachother, how to rename the files and change the load screen?

Thanks!

Also im looking for this map http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCqxBryxtmY but can't find it anywhere. Does anybody have it?

Sander
sander's picture

I guess there is no any tutorial. Open xxx.pk3 with winrar and change whatever u want. If u rename .bsp, dont forget to rename the folders which had the same name as .bsp. Probably u have to edit xxx.shader file also, otherwise some of yr textures could be not loaded properly. Loadscreen in levelshots folder have the same name as yr bsp. U can edit it with any graphic editor. If u want to remove bots, just remove file with .aas extension. If u want to remove models, i guess u can delete them from the models folder then while loading map u can read in console: "failed to load models/xxx.md3 bla bla.

RONiN
YasDaMan's picture

you can change the stuff inside the zips, but then other people who want to play it will need the specific pk3 that you made yourself...

removing the model stuff inside the folders would just remove the textures as the models are built into the bsp (i think), therefore you would get uglyness where your models used to be.

you can decompile a map, but i'm not going to tell you how to do it as that is retarded *cough*, ask the original author for the map files and permission to play around with it. there are plenty tutorials and demonstrative maps on the internet to show you how to map, obviously you are looking in the wrong place. look for q3 radiant tutorials. start from scratch instead of modifying other people's (mostly) copyrighted work. sign up to a real mapping forum to get help, this place is pretty lame when it comes to mapping & help.

as for that map in the video, pm the video author for a link or help if the description didnt help you to find it.

Sander
sander's picture
RONiN wrote:

removing the model stuff inside the folders would just remove the textures as the models are built into the bsp (i think), therefore you would get uglyness where your models used to be.

It will remove model. Btw model textures are usually hosted in another folder. Models are nonsolid objects and in case author wanted to simulate solids he could put clips on model which u cant remove just by deleting models, therefore u have to decompile map and edit it with radiant

=High-Energy=
JoeriBaas's picture

thanks for all the reply's.

Yes, i know that the other people need to have autodownload on, but that is no problem since my upload is not that lame.

As for changing other people's copyrighted work, i won't modify the levels themslves, just give the filenames and load screens more sense and put the pk3 files on a diet / split them.
I already suspected that I should decompile the files inside the .pk3 to .map etc. when I loaded radiant, but again, i'm to busy and not into making maps and models so i'm not even motivated to violate it.

But still I am very impressed by some of the maps and models that are made and I wonder where these people got their knowledge since there is such a sheer volume of maps (more than a thousand). So i hoped there was some tutorial that could explain the basics how these files inside the PK3 relate.

I know my question can be explained the wrong way, as like i'm a lazy greedy ripper, but i'm not and I won't toutch the authors name, creation and credits (even on the loadscreen) but I just want to delete stuff and change the filenames of the map's BSP's.

I will look into quake 3 radiant tutorials, but if any of you already knows a decent tutorial i would very much appreciate it.

Also the preson on the youtube movie does not respond and the movie is 2 years old... Sad

Seth
Quote:
[NL wrote:

-Joeri=Baas-"]Also im looking for this map http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCqxBryxtmY but can't find it anywhere. Does anybody have it?

Strange, when i google it i do find some hits, one having it in a mappack.

RONiN wrote:

lol@sethy ur too funny man... if i was a woman, you would make me horny.

=High-Energy=
JoeriBaas's picture
Quote:
Seth wrote:

[NL wrote:
-Joeri=Baas-"]Also im looking for this map http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCqxBryxtmY but can't find it anywhere. Does anybody have it?

Strange, when i google it i do find some hits, one having it in a mappack.

well, that is just not that map, I already had downloaded and tested it...

epsiplayer
THE ONE AND ONLY
intact-epsilon's picture

if you change the screenshot of a map (say overkill.jpg) and not the filename then you'll be unpure ..

if you change the filename too (say overkill -> ovekill2 ) then q3 wont be able to find overkill.bsp file if joining on a server with that map on.

pak3 file contains:

mapname.txt : containing infos for the map

mapname.jpg : screenshot of the map

mapname.bsp :
contains poligons, curves
textures links,
light maps
shadows patches
and map entities

mapname.aas :
contains paths and weights for the bots to follow to achieve their goals like walking, picking items & killing on that map.

models links (relative to the mod directory) defined in the bsp file as entities that have the classname misc_model. These files are in md2/md3 format.

entities of the map can be changed now in e+ using the ents files and can overwrite the entities within the bsp file. but these will work only
if you create the game ofc.

________
epsislow

=High-Energy=
JoeriBaas's picture

Thanks for the explanation how the files relate!

Yes, I know about the purity. But i'm making them for my own lanpartyserver, so when pure is disabled and autodownload on this should not be any problem. Also rarely people use custom maps and when they have autodownload on they can join as well Tongue. (ioquake 3 with fastdownload)