quake3 1.32c update

25 replies [Last post]
mow Q [EN]

i just can say, as soon as possible, 2!S Servers willl be updated, i just have to w8 until EN-Manouche is back from tour.

and pb is not stupid, if id would have informed evenbalance about the update, they would have reacted on it. but it is like always...

mullder

[BRO]Servers Updated Cool

parasight [E+]
parasight's picture
nihil wrote:

are you joking, right? try to consider year of release and difference between 'q3a' project and 'punkbuster' project

Good point about the release date difference, but they could have improved the interface with this update. I guess there's no money in it anymore so nobody will bother.

nihil
nihil's picture

in any case e+ is kinda immune against that overflow (due to modified code)

so when you *know* that you are connecting to e+ server you can have relative sense of security even with 1.32b

but noone says that anyone cant give you ip for example of baseq3 server for purpose to *own* you Smug

i'll check that traversal bug soon

Seth
SiNSiN|Dak-A-riN+ wrote:

Quote:

but if server is 1.32c can people with 1.32b connect?

Ok, I just tested. When server is 1.32c the "b" players CAN connect and play without problems. Same goes with sv_punkbuster 1 on 1.32c.

Stupid PB kicks only 1.32c players on 1.32b servers. (info to evenbalance sent).

So, update your servers all NOW!! Players wait couple days.

That's because this is a server side update.

RONiN wrote:

lol@sethy ur too funny man... if i was a woman, you would make me horny.

SiNSiN|Dak-A-riN+
r3n's picture

@Setesh. No. It's for client and server. Please read the first post.

Anyways, I just got reply from Evenbalance on pb 1.32b server kicking 1.32c client issue:

Quote:

05/09/2006 19:30:32 - "Stuart Dunsmore"
Note #2: This should be fixed now.
05/09/2006 14:23:48 - "dakarin"
Note #1: Ticket submitted to support staff.

Let's check it...

EDITED: Ok, checked on c4-tdm 1.32b server pb 1, pure 1, client-1.32c. I played for 3 minutes, no kick for that earlier bug.

So now everyone should update! GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A FUN! Happy

SiN - team of extraordinary individuals.

Those worthless creatures surround me...

Seth
SiNSiN|Dak-A-riN+ wrote:

@Setesh. No. It's for client and server. Please read the first post.

Anyways, I just got reply from Evenbalance on pb 1.32b server kicking 1.32c client issue:

Quote:

05/09/2006 19:30:32 - "Stuart Dunsmore"
Note #2: This should be fixed now.
05/09/2006 14:23:48 - "dakarin"
Note #1: Ticket submitted to support staff.

Let's check it...

EDITED: Ok, checked on c4-tdm 1.32b server pb 1, pure 1, client-1.32c. I played for 3 minutes, no kick for that earlier bug.

So now everyone should update! GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A FUN! Happy

The only part about client side i read in the first post is this:

Quote:
Finally, server administrators should note that game servers should be running in restricted environments as much as possible ( unpriviledged accounts and chroot jails ). It's a good thing to do the same for clients, or at least ensure that you are properly firewalled.

Which is only based on the part that that a client side should be properly firewalled/protected. Not about that the client needs the file also or do i read something wrong?

The readme only says stuff about the server.

Quote:
If you run a server with any older version, please upgrade or consider turning off autodownload

RONiN wrote:

lol@sethy ur too funny man... if i was a woman, you would make me horny.

SiNSiN|Dak-A-riN+
r3n's picture

@Setesh: than read again:

Quote:

Issue #2 ( CVE pending ): R_RemapShaders buffer overflow

A second issue fixed in this release would let a malicious server exploit a buffer overflow to execute a shellcode on connecting clients.

Which means - someone is bad-dark side ubber hacker, he runs q3 server, then you try to connect, he sends you among normal q3 data malicious code which overite some parts of memory in your computer, if done well, CS (code segment) in memory is overwritten with attacker code, if unlucky that codes get executed on your PC - it can contain anything: trojan horse, virus, sniffer or else. ---> You've been hacked.

SiN - team of extraordinary individuals.

Those worthless creatures surround me...

n00bz0rz

Maybe this topic should be a sticky one?

mow Q [EN]

I would like to remind of this thread.

There are still many servers in E+ using a old version of 1.32, please update ur server to 1.32 C.

Not updating is irresponsible opposite the players!