Explain to me the mod history of Quake 3.

2 replies [Last post]
Judge_Nutmeg
Judge_Nutmeg's picture
Hi.

I've seen various mods over the years but only really started looking into them recently since I move from Windows to Linux and needed my QuakeLive fix. Now I play Quake 3 with Excessive Plus mod as it seem to be use with the only server semi active I can find.

So since installing ioquake on my computer I've installed Excessive plus, CPMA/OSP and some other mod I can't remember. Like I say I only play excessive plus but I am interested in the differences between the various mods and whether they are still active.

Also, I sometimes go over to ESR forums and never see Excessive Plus mentioned. They always bang on about CPMA.

Thanks.

superbad!
Forum moderator
Divx's picture
Re: Explain to me the mod history of Quake 3.

e+ gets a shit reputation on every other site i've seen (brainless spam, which it can be. i like it). it can be customised alot with the cfg's, so it can be what you make it. i dont think the q3 community ever took e+ seriously, so its unlikely you'll see it mentioned anywhere.

osp - i've never played osp, dont know if its still alive. before my time.

cpma - i believe development is finished, probably still a community though (last time i checked the site was offline. looks like theres a homepage now at least).
differences - this is probably more like quake live. an advanced baseq3, requires thought and experience to do well. map control, item timing etc. one of the only mods the community cared about

-reflex is a new game that looks like the evolution of cpma.

welcome

Deathadder | Goliathus Speed | Filco Majestouch | i7 3770 | 16GB | GTX 1080 | Xonar Essence ST | Sennheiser HD598

-C4-TYRANTuk.tyrant
Re: Explain to me the mod history of Quake 3.

there is also defrag mod which is dedicated to movement, strafe jumping, weapon jumping and very creative maps that allow for some awesome stuff.

another mod was one called rocket arena, maybe 10 years ago or so... this is probably very dead now as it wasn't as popular as some others

and of course you can't forget insta, that's where i came from and probably a few others (railonly q3dm17)

there's also a game called urban terror, which is more of a standalone game built from the q3 engine (free to play) which is more of a quake/counter strike hybrid. really fun game though!

~tyrant!~ZoO.ConcreteDonkey