100% CPU usage Oo

10 replies [Last post]
tartaros
GreekPecker's picture
When i load the default server.cfg i get low cpu usage. When i load the one i made it gets 100% cpu usage. I deleted slowly almost EVERYTHING from my cfg trying to find out what causes it. Still 100%! Shock wtf? Any ideas? Confused

STARLESS )NWC(
Starless's picture

can you post your server.cfg and rotation.txt?

tartaros
GreekPecker's picture

My question was lame. However, excessive plus has the worst manual i've ever seen :roll:

Anyways, delete this thread, if the moderators read.

oh, btw, if i set set com_hunkmegs to something like 50 instead of 80 will it affect things alot?

STARLESS )NWC(
Starless's picture
tartaros wrote:

My question was lame. However, excessive plus has the worst manual i've ever seen :roll:

Anyways, delete this thread, if the moderators read.

oh, btw, if i set set com_hunkmegs to something like 50 instead of 80 will it affect things alot?

All 9 of my servers run at hunkmegs 32, no problems. Its not like it needs a huge amount of memory, it's more CPU and network intensive than memory hungry.

x.foksie'loy.drt?
foksie's picture

hm i have a feeeling you were loading the same map on rotation and on server load? Happy

I am proud of spreading a pirated Excessive Plus version and claim to be the original author, yay!

tartaros
GreekPecker's picture

No, different problem Tongue Anyways, it's solved as you see. So many posts in a row Shock Welcome back Big grin

x.foksie'loy.drt?
foksie's picture

not back yet, im typing thanx to beautiful Leukothea and her DSL Smug

I am proud of spreading a pirated Excessive Plus version and claim to be the original author, yay!

-C4-TYRANTuk.tyrant

im always using 100% cpu usage , nothing to worry about ;D if you closely look at when you open firefox, u will see that it uses 100% cpu usage for a task as easy as this...i think ur processor just puts full capacity on things that you want to work quickly. im no expert, this is how mine works though Laughing Laughing

btw ,

dont tell me its broken Big grin

~tyrant!~ZoO.ConcreteDonkey

*A*C|_ASS*LIK|_l_|ID
LiKwid_KrystaL's picture

hehe, tyrant... what are u using a 486?

In lamens terms:

Tasks will use more CPU resources (on a percentage scale) on a lower end processor than a higher end processor.

I.E. - low end = celeron/sempron/duron (or earlier)
- high end = core 2 duo (E6000 series); core 2 extreme (X6000 series)/fx-60; fx-62 (or later)

IMO thats pretty bad if it takes 100% of your CPU's resources to open a web browser... GET A NEW PROCESSOR!

heh... I've said all this and I still use a damn 340, sheesh... army don't pay me enuf.

Wow, I got totally off topic... my bad.

- Mike

-

Your RETIRED Local Militant Problem Solver.

-C4-TYRANTuk.tyrant

haha, i like my ancient cpu!

if it aint broke dont fix it...it plays q3 quite fine for me @ max settings and is very smoothly capped on 125fps, with the help of my high end agp gfx card Big grin

however, after many years it may have recently broke, so i will just have to wait and find out Tongue

~tyrant!~ZoO.ConcreteDonkey

glizda
glizda's picture
tartaros wrote:

When i load the default server.cfg i get low cpu usage. When i load the one i made it gets 100% cpu usage. I deleted slowly almost EVERYTHING from my cfg trying to find out what causes it. Still 100%! Shock wtf? Any ideas? Confused

Hi,
What version of q3 are you running? I noticed the same thing on linux, when stdin was closed. It seems to be a bug in q3. My workaround is to run the serv within 'screen' program, wich keeps standard input open. Look at http://icculus.org/quake3/ - they have removed the bug from their version of q3, but I didn't run the newest version (it doesn't have punkbuster support).