SOUND POLL ISSUE: Did 2.3 ruin the sound even more now?

40 replies [Last post]
DR*DIABLO
EL-D1ABL0's picture
Re: SOUND POLL ISSUE: Did 2.3 ruin the sound even more now?
◀█ BIG BOB wrote:

@Bozo, Thanks! @Diablo, same here will test it too. PS use headphones instead of speakers, noticed you been using speakers lately so I thought I'd let you know.

i never use headphones for anything, also don't even got 'em. i just got a cheap 5.1 from creative. i never liked headphones, even tho it would be much much better in everything, especially in quake as i understood.

◀█ BIG BOB
expedion's picture
easy wrote:

DR*DIABLO wrote:
i'd like to test them on single player, wanna check differences

It does not have to be single player. You can test it right on your favourite server with cl_allowDownload 0. Of course the server should not be pure. And if you like it, no one prevents you from using it.

◀█ BIG BOB wrote:

@Easy, great so you admit there is a difference in sound between baseq3 and e+? Alright, now let's see how much of a difference there is between the old 1.02/1.03 versions and the current one. PS man I hope you don't get it twisted but when I say the sound is fucked. I don't mean I'm hearing clown shoes when someone walks, or I hear a trumpet going off on a bad tone when someone jumps... I'm talking about the sound location being off. You can't make the proper distinction now anymore between footsteps on high ground and low ground anymore... You can't even sometimes make a distinction between if the enemy is coming from the left or right.

I don't really know why I have to quote myself but here we go.

easy wrote:

baseq3 is not using your Excessive Plus settings

Just to make it more clear, as objective reading doesn't seem to be one of your assets. There are tons of sound settings the engine provides which potentially have been modified over the years, with or without your knowledge.

And again, there are not much options to affect the sounds on the mods side. This is something that the engine handles.

Subjectivity is the only thing that we have at the moment as a judging tool here.... You can splatter these words like a Descartes but the reality of it is that the majority has noticed a fuckery with the sounds.

And I tested 1.02 single player and compared with 2.3 and the difference just presents itself on its own. Any person with a decent ear could hear the differences. I suggest if people want to check the difference than use 1.02/2.3 as a comparison. 1.03 is something in the middle which already started the gradual sound modification so the difference between 1.03 and 2.3 would be less noticeable (but nonetheless the changes are noticeable if you listen closely).

DR*DIABLO
EL-D1ABL0's picture
easy wrote:

DR*DIABLO wrote:
i'd like to test them on single player, wanna check differences

It does not have to be single player. You can test it right on your favourite server with cl_allowDownload 0. Of course the server should not be pure. And if you like it, no one prevents you from using it.

ah i see, even better, thanks for suggestion.

easy
Developer
easy's picture

I have recorded some demos with baseq3, XP 1.03 and XP 2.3. I can tell there is no difference between them, neither acoustical nor with an audio editor.

Unfortunately the videos are too large to upload because the demos I used were pretty long. Then I tried the very same with the default "four.dm_68". The result was the same but much smaller in size. Again unfortunately XP 1.03 cannot play baseq3 demos but it does not matter in this case, because 2.3 matches baseq3.

http://excessiveplus.net/~easy/sound/

I have included 2 baseq3 videos to show that even recording the very same demo several times in a row, will produce minimal differences in the waveform analysis. The Excessive Plus video is smaller, because the UI/HUD differs and the console text is much smaller. They have the same length.

This can be reproduced for any other demo and by anyone.

Programms used: ioquake3 1.36, Audacity (an open source audio editor)

I've spend half an hour looking for an appropriate audio editor and recording the demos, just to investigate into an unfriendly, biased and vague claim.

3m'genesis
G3n3sis's picture
easy wrote:

it won't change anything.

thats why this mod is dead.

DR*DIABLO
EL-D1ABL0's picture

btw easy, i disabled cl_allowdownload in e+ cfg and baseq3 and still when i try to play on some server with e+ 1.03 it makes me download new e+ files, now gonna try single player

EVILUTION
fiendsin's picture

antiwh level 1 shouldnt change any sounds, thats what we're trying to gain
instead, there's mixed sounds, when enemy is high, sounds come from low
we use sound for prediction
gg man you killed the skill of prediction
thats what we've been running from since Violence released his IOquake build

Sometimes I wish I was a NEET again, but life is too fucking expensive man.
The weak plot revenge, the strong forgive and the Lucky forget, but Fiend, Fiend no longer gives a shit

◀█ BIG BOB wrote:
Man you even sound like Lego's

You Fuckers wrote:
I would cut my fifth finger to bang her actually

You Fuckers wrote:
BELIEVE IN BLASPHEMY

DR*DIABLO
EL-D1ABL0's picture

looks like there is some issue playing single player with 1.03, no weapons, not on map and not got by me or bot, with some error in console saying something about it ( forgot what was).

/
q3fun's picture
EVILUTION wrote:

antiwh level 1 shouldnt change any sounds, thats what we're trying to gain
instead, there's mixed sounds, when enemy is high, sounds come from low
we use sound for prediction
gg man you killed the skill of prediction
thats what we've been running from since Violence released his IOquake build

vio-awh not have levels...
but i agree, even level-1 not saved sound properly, no sound from weapons and methinks what enemy not there where come sound

cml
Forum moderator Rank moderator LIVING LEGEND
camel-xp's picture

I think it is not about the sound quality or something like that, but more about sounds appearing in wrong directions, for example I heard few times someone on the left but in fact he was on the right, some sounds may popup and disappear but thats normal on active AWH, more annoying is when you dont know where the enemy is located if you hear him on different place where he is in fact.

Someone should reproduce that effect and record it, good place to test is public server with dynamic plusN cfg, rather than test it on baseq3 or play pre-recorded demos to prove anything Happy