Quake 3 and intel?

10 replies [Last post]
*ZMB*KENSHIRO*
HK_Kenshiro's picture

Ok right hi e+

for some of us, you don't see me for a long time on maps, a reason?

yeah,

i meet a serious problem with my new computer and q3...

eatch 1 sec, i meet a fucking lag, down to 36 fps, and give me over 15 percent of packet lost.

usually i play with 160 ms, 0% lost

i change my computer : check that, may be intersting :

old compt :

Intel pentium 4HT-C 2.8Ghz
2Go of ram pc 3200 g-skillz
500 gb hdd
geForce Fx-5500 from nvidia
ether : Realtek 100-1000m

new compt :

Intel Core 2 Quad QX6700 2.66Ghz
1Go Ram pc6400 corsair pro XMS2
same hdd
Integrated graphic : intel GMA 3000
same ethernet

With the same q3directory from the same network i run 2 quake :

1 on old compt
1 on new compt

on Hk server i meet lag with my new computer, not on my old

i've decide to mail idsoftware about the problem : idsoft is now activision.

i give you history conversation :

Q:
Customer - 12/02/2007 06:05 PM
Hello,

I bought a new computer. I've got some problems with quake 3. We are a team who play in "excessiveplus" mod. Here is my concern: Since I played quake, (7 years environs), I never had any worries. But since the change of my computer, a mysterious lag appeared. Activating cg_drawfps me 45fps then 30, then 45, then 30, the lag appears every 1 second and a half. And i've arround 20 % of packet lost, snaps is ok, maxpacket too, Here is my configuration:

Intel Core 2 Quad qx6700
Hdd samsung 500gb
1 bg ddr2 667mhz
Gigabyte motherboard
Intel GMA 3000

I test my same config (q3config.cfg) on my old computer, it work perfecly without lag, can you help me tosolve the problem?

ps : i try in baseq3 mod, it's the same. also i try with another ethernet card. with last graphics drivers and i try too some old realese of graphics drivers. same result. i can show you with a fraps. thx for help.

Response
(Nick Bee) - 12/03/2007 04:00 PM
Hi,

Thank you for contacting Activision’s Technical Support. I'm sorry to hear about your problem. We cannot provide assistance with 3rd party mods.

Most likely, this problem sounds like a problem with your computer, not the game, are you using a router or firewall?

Q:
Customer - 12/04/2007 06:35 AM
Hi,

I think too, this not from the game, may be the problems appears when Quake 3 is running under a core quad porcessor - We try to run from different computers, same connection, without firewall, for exemple the same game place to the same directory, run perfectly on a pentium 4 ht, AM2 got the same problems as intel core quad. i can send some recording. Do you have any infomation about Quad core intel running Q3?

In parallel my job is computer tech from www.materiel.net in business we test simple core processor, dual core processor, and finally quad core processor, with the same config files, from the same q3 directory, we meet problems under running q3 with intel quad core. we try different core quad, same result. you can easly check that i think.

Every 1.5 sec, we meet a sort of lag, FPS down to 36 then 45 then 36 then 45 - with the same graphic card, on P4 CPU we have 125 fps stable without lag. We try manies hard/soft config, always same result, can you ask for some develloper's to check that please?

Thanks for your support.

Best regards.

Mr Kenshiro

Response (Nick Bee) - 12/04/2007 02:14 PM
Hi,

This game is very very old, over 10 years old. There is no way we can make sure it is compatible with hardware that is 10 years newer than it.

Set the game to run with only one CPU. Launch the game, then alt-tab to your desktop. Ctrl-Alt-Del and open the task manager. Find the game on your list of processes. Right-click on it, choose set affinity, then uncheck one of the CPUs.

That might help, other than that, we cannot guarantee that this game will run properly on Quadcores.

That all... nice reply, i try that, no effect

so my question is simple :

In E+ are there some players with Intel quad core? may be some var to change i supose,

help pliz, can't play, awwwww old ken :'(

You 're already dead!

cml
Forum moderator Rank moderator LIVING LEGEND
camel-xp's picture
Quake 3 and intel?

mow Q [EN]

the problem is simple, its ur quadcore, rund q3 on 1 core, u can do that for example with nhancer.

please check also in this thread the last post:
http://forums.excessiveplus.net/viewtopic.php?p=236016#236016

Further, this forum as a search button Shock

CZE|BEAZT
beazt's picture

next1 problem is your integrated qraphic card. Try to use GeForce. Btw intel sux Winking

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite | AMD Ryzen 7 5800x (water cooled) | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gigabyte Radeon Rx 6800XT | Creative Audigy RX | 500GB SSD (macOS 13) + 1TB SSD (W11P) + 3TB HDD | Apple Magic Keyboard + Logitech G603

mow Q [EN]

yea, but this sucky vid card is not the reason for interval-lags.

*ZMB*KENSHIRO*
HK_Kenshiro's picture
Quake 3 and intel?

Thanks for you're reply guys!

ok i ll try u're solution

You 're already dead!

HELLA
Scarstruck's picture

yea put an 8800 in that mofo, then your set

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 | Steelpad QCK Mass | SteelSeries Siberia V2 | 23" LG W2361V

-C4-TYRANTuk.tyrant

lol u should never have bought a motheboard with integrated gfx, its a waste of money - if u were on a budget, u should have waited til u had some more (mobo is one of, if not the most important component) which model did u get from gigabyte? all p35 asus boards pwn :]

~tyrant!~ZoO.ConcreteDonkey

orphy with the wind
HELLA wrote:

yea put an 8800 in that mofo, then your set

Yeah 8080 were the shit!!! Go go go CPM and DOS!!
Erm OK I'm leaving the room...

LeeLoo

Your problem is probably your slow graphic card.

I would recommend imagecfg.exe instead of nhancer because
then you don't need to install anything and I think nhancer is
running constantly in background?

I have still problems even with better graphics card.
http://www.excessiveplus.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20211

(HK) GoddaM
goddam's picture

cant see it written ken, but which OS you running? vista?
and ken, love ya man, good to see you broke away from WOW.